To My Surprise review by To My Surprise

• Released: Oct 7, 2003
To My Surprise: To My Surprise

The sounds on this album are unique and different to say the least. Rumour has it that most of the guitar work was performed using a 5watt amp from the 1950's. Rick Rubin, the producer of the record, heard the band jamming with it and told them he loved the rustic sound of it. And I have to say that I am inclined to agree with Mr. Rubin on this one. To say the sound produced is interesting is a wild dangerous understatement. The different styles of songs on this record are both diverse and intense...everything from 1940's pop to modern day rap-rock. A lot of the songs are surprising considering that this is a Slipknot side-project.

Weird and odd are the best words to describe the lyrics on this album. If you read the lyrics to a lot of them they go terrifically well with each song and it's style. "Blue" is a good example, an uplifting song with a happy feel and sound to it with matching lyrics. Slipknot's Shawn is an awesome lyricist.

Of all the massively overrated Slipknot side-projects (namely Stone Sour), this is by far the most talented, invigorating and promising act. This is a solid debut which displays incredible musicianship, potential and fantastic tastes in all kinds of musical genres. The best song is probably "Get It To Go", which is a punk/heavy rock song. I hope this band will carry on for a long time because they are a hugely promising act with a rich and diverse musical background.