To My Surprise review by To My Surprise

• Released: Oct 7, 2003
To My Surprise: To My Surprise

When the first track started, I almost thought Shawn Crahan had gone techno but the a combination of accoustic guitars and oohs came in and I thought it was a good change of pace for the Slipknot writer. Maybe I am giving him all of the credit for writing but he would have made the album heavier. In the track "Say Goodbye", I would assume that Shawn is doing the vocals and it is quite obvious that he put a large influence of style into that tune. It gives the album a kind of dark tone after a very cheerful, "Blue" which is my favorite track on the album. The song preceding "Blue" is "In the Mood" is to me a kind of funny song because a lot of the lyrics seem rather spontaneous and non-connecting. I am sure there is a hidden meaning in there somewheres. It is on Roadrunner Records so the recording quality was excellent as always and the sound was crystal clear.

The lyrics must have some hidden meaning because they keep calling themselves The Ornge whatever that means. In the Mood has the best lyrics of all of the songs on the whole album and most of these songs have rather positive meanings and sounds that might be unbearable to a total pessimist unless slowly evaluated and reviewed for further meaning in which case would take quite a while because of the way Shawn had an influence on the lyrics and what their true hidden meaning is. It feels strange to hear a positive sound come out of a Roadrunner Records band. The singer has a great voice for the kind of Post-Grungy style and doesn't seem to have any weak spots. His finest song is Blue during the chorus. "Blue belongs in the sky, and not on you or I."

The closest thing to compare this album to would probably be Local H especially their song "Bound For the Floor". TMS sound kind of like them and maybe a bit like Switchfoot as well. Maybe. Blue is definately my favorite song on the album but it seems as though most people like Get it to Go the best. It is like a party song and I do appreciate the fact that it is a heavy song and you can really appreciate it. Sunday would have been a better song to end the album with because it talks about saying goodbye. The last track, Whose to Say ends the album kind of blankly and abruptly. It works anyway.

freecharlie8
    my interpretation of the ornge thing was it being sort of a tribute to the beatles Sgt Peppers, with them introducing themselves as Sgt peppers in the beginging, and then pretending to close a show as them in the end... idk, thats just my theory. sweet album though, i love "blue" and "easy or not"