The Hortator's Lament review by Toadliquor

• Released: Feb 3, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Toadliquor: The Hortator's Lament

I got this (after a bit of research) as these guys are supposed to be one of the "back in the day" bands of the sludge genre... this is a collection from EPs and stuff like that - it's all on wiki, meh. What this is: HEAVY, think Sabbath (ALWAYS think Sabbath, even when with your woman), Melvins and the less frenetic elements of Buzzov*en... an album that will make you "pull a whitey" - it smells of whiskey, ashtrays and urine, probably hard drugs too. Vocals standout, raw, agonised. I like it, the neighbours don't (nevermind)... and I think the band kinda intended that, obnoxious music for, well you know. As ever, great for parties and obscurist muso-nerd points.

God knows, I can't make it out, I'm too old. I'm sure it's suitably heavy/dark. The singer sounds wretched, in a good way, there's an anarcho/crust element to this.

If I'm in the mood for it this is excellent, think a more intoxicated, ragged early Neurosis. It's on Southern Lord, although it's going to be hard to track this down for reasonable money as it's not available from the site - although I did manage to buy this at a reasonable price. Reminds me a bit of Winter too early doom/death, although this isn't really "that" downtuned. A bit of research says split, apparently they started in the late '80s. I'm gonna track some more down at least :) Worth a punt.