Best Of review by Tokio Hotel

• Released: Dec 14, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Tokio Hotel: Best Of

It may not seem like it, but the reason a group like Tokio Hotel keeps releasing discs is because there is a high demand for them. Europe may be the headquarters for their die-hard fan bases but North American followers are real, and yes, they come equipped in Tokio Hotel merchandise which can rarely be found in any record stores (thank God for online retail outlets, right?). Such devotion to supporting an artist is why the German pop rockers have released their first compilation album titled Best Of. While it insinuates it is indeed a greatest hits album, the record is rarely marketed that way as it tries to disguise itself as an honorary collection. Taking bits and pieces from Scream, Zimmer 483 and Schrei, the compilation shows an expansive side, blending the natural progression of the group which in a way, makes the release almost seem like an entirely new album. Popular tracks fueling the disc at the start ("Monsoon") show promise, but the annoying hooks ensue ("Scream", "Hurricanes And Suns") and hell breaks loose in mainstream European alt pop fashion. Tokio Hotel are bred with a bit of talent, but it reveals itself in the wrong way, pushing forward complex orchestral bits to gain a monumental feeling (think a teenage 30 Seconds To Mars cover band). In their native tongue, this would work well, but in plain ol' English, it brushes off a bit too much pop to fully cling to an alternative rock moniker.

If Tokio Hotel is known for one thing, it's the voice behind the mic. Not due to the obvious fashion statements or hairstyles that would make 90s' families cringe, but because of the originality swimming around in Bill Kaulitz' set of pipes. "Up on your roof so high, the world can just go to hell," lashes Kaulitz, doing his best Kurt Cobain impression before his comrades release a barrage of overused grunge tones. Similar material has the ability to attract those who prefer rhythms of a heavier variety but its the vocalist's skill in changing high pitches that's made him stand out. "1000 Oceans" situates him at his weakest before unshackling a few chains and letting loose towards the end while "Humanoid" shifts intensity, going from aggressive to sweet pop in a millisecond. One of the unreleased numbers ("Madchen aus dem All"), embedded in German vocals, almost doesn't sound like Kaulitz but more like a feminine talent hunting for a home in between pop punk and radio pop. The impression doesn't favor well for what the quartet try to display, but it draws the question on whether another singer can imitate theirs.

Best Of shouts spunk but it doesn't do so with enough flash to be called a "greatest hits record". The term "compilation" suits it well as it handpicks material from Tokio Hotel's history, dating back to 2005, and uses a tracklisting worth applauding as the release stays a steady path from start to finish. Fans will admire the singles chosen for the first collection of tracks, but it can't do the impossible, which is convince other genre-lovers to indulge in it's take on alternative rock. The acoustic ballads could make their way on to their MP3 players and that's as far as they will go as Best Of is like any other hits record: clocks in at 16-plus tracks and barely contains material actually chosen by the band themselves.

RetteMich483
    <finGerz>
    yeah 40 bucks is a bit much for a bunch of songs you already have and videos u can see on youtube...the deluxe version i mean
    Echoplex
    I'm not here to troll and bash this (in my opinion, horrible) band, but I do have to publically wonder: how do they make a "best of" with a very limited catalogue available anyway? That would be like Lady Gaga doing a "best of" this year. Also, it appears that many "fans" of this band seem to like it for the lead singer's transsexual aesthetic, putting the music fandom behind appearances. I know that this is something that is asked too much, but shouldn't both bands and fans be concerned with music more so than image? Isn't that the point of forming a band, no matter how horrible it is?
    theogonia777
    colombiana
    yeah their i used to love them soo much like the songs from Zimmer 483 and Scream [which essentially the same thing] but Humanoid totally ****ed everything up, in my opinion, they sound so fake and disgusting and ever since that album came out Bill became even more strange and its just sad, i used to be so obsessed with them but now its whatever, they shouldnt have changed :/
    RetteMich483 wrote: -sigh- I love this band...But ummm hello they've only been together for five years why the hell would they release this ****ing album! And I agree the band isn't really known for their music. It's all pretty simple :/They're really just known for the twins. which is sad. They(Tom and Bill I think the other two already know) live in a dream world where they think everybody loves their music when in reality they just think they're hot. I'm not wasting my money on this damn album when I already have three. I hate their new sound.
    <finGerz>
    exactly! but most ppl only know the new stuff and don't realy know the old, good th
    mycale666
    Of course they can save many people from suicide. If they can make so much money by making awful songs, your band might have future
    Ibanezrocker800
    theogonia777 wrote: Echoplex wrote:All of Joy Division's comps were released posthumously. If the singer hadn't killed himself and the band had continued, they would have probably released more material and then a proper compilation. i'm well aware of that, but my point is they have a lot of compilations considering the number of albums they recorded.
    then this compilation will be okay when the main guy in this band kills himself and the band breaks up.
    theogonia777
    Echoplex
    theogonia777 wrote: to be honest, it's not that ridiculous, i mean Joy Division had two LP's and three EP's, and they have like 10 compilation albums. though i like Joy Division. and lots of other bands release compilations after like two or three albums. though those bands aren't awful.
    elgranmapache
    RR3tran
    elgranmapache wrote: BellaGlambert wrote: 10. Don't know why everyone hates them so much. They literally, saved me from suicide. Someone explain to me what's so awful about them... If that's true, you have big issues, and trust me, a song is not gonna solve them.
    Do you know how many people seriously consider suicide? Everyone has their own problems pal and we all deal with them in different ways. You're right, a song will not solve his problems, but they will make him change his mind about them. It's called life.
    nico42
    I'm from Germany and I genuinely hate the rest of the world for making those brats even more popular...
    krvolok
    theogonia777 wrote: more like "compilation of least annoying songs, that are almost listenable" amirite?
    Lion_Slicer
    A "Best Of" after 5 years and 3 albums? It's impossible to make that worth buying. Even more so if you couldn't write a decent song to save your life. They should give it a rest for ten years until they get through puberty/figure out what music is.
    kameleus
    I agree.
    krvolok
    Unreleased tracks are the only way to sell compilations in this era.Aeons of difference twixt the two famous German rock bands.
    brony.applepie
    In my overall opinion, because I'm a fan of this band, I want to support them and so I bought this album.I didn't need it, nor did I really have the money for this expense, but I did it anyway because of my love for this band.But discussing their sound and how much it's changed and how much THEY'VE changed, I have to point out that what they're trying to do now is just basically going by whatever their manager tells them.Example: Everyone knows the majority of the fanbase love the twins, hence why they joined the TV program "Deutchland Sucht Den Superstar". They get paid tons PLUS the show gains popularity, not to mention Tokio Hotel's "come back", which puts their popularity streak back on the high charts. Their "new sound" is just a revamped adequate version of any other pop song on the radio. The songs have a major lack of meaning and appreciation. Bill cropped his hair short, then died it blonde, cut it shorter, then got extensions, and then completely buzzed it all in a year; seems like "striving for attention" would fit perfectly in there.But all in all, I love Tokio Hotel. They are my favourite band. The boys are nice and funny and not a**holes and none of them are f***ed up on drugs. So yeah...