Elephant Shell Review

Tokyo Police Club: Elephant Shell
Released: Apr 22, 2008
Genre: Indie Rock
Label: Memphis Industries
Starting April 25, MTV.ca streamed the album free online (The Leak). Debuted at #1 in the Billboard Top Heatseekers charts. Debuted at #10 in the Canadian album chart.
 9.2
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Elephant Shell Reviewed by: bloogy182, on september 20, 2008

Sound: This album follows up their debut EP, "A Lesson In Crime", superbly as the band continue to make music along the same vein of "danceable indie", as it has been described. Obviously there is the odd downside, as with anything, and in some songs you wonder whether they could either have made it a bit longer because you are really enjoying or perhaps you just think that the electric keyboards and synths have been slightly over-used. However, all of this aside, Dave Monks has continued to create some stunning bass lines. // 9

Lyrics: Again the traditional non-sensical lyrics of Tokyo Police Club return with a vengeance. Obviously they're not all going to be to everyone's taste and some can seem slightly irritating at times however most tracks make up for this with the music accompanying it and so you can simply drown out the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: A fantastic album. This band has real promise. The best songs are almost definitely "Tessellate", "In A Cave", "Nursery, Academy" and "Sixties Remake". The only song on this album I didn't enjoy particularly was "The Harrowing Adventures Of... " in which I just think the xylophone at the beginning is rather unnecessary adn overall it's not a fantastic tune. The only other bad thing I found with the album is that some of the drumming seems quite repetitive however with bass lines and gutiar riffs such as the ones in "In A Cave" and "Tessellate" mean that you rarely notice. It's certainly an album I would replace if it were damaged/lost/stolen and one I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a bit of upbeat indie, or just for anyone who appreciates good music. // 10

Comments