Melodic Lead Guitar [DVD] Review

artist: Tom Kolb date: 01/26/2015 category: compact discs
Tom Kolb: Melodic Lead Guitar [DVD]
Tom Kolb packs in an incredible amount of information in "Melodic Lead Guitar," a 2 hour and 7 minute instructional DVD.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 8
 8.8
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Melodic Lead Guitar [DVD] Reviewed by: logicbdj, on january 26, 2015

Sound: Tom Kolb packs in an incredible amount of information in "Melodic Lead Guitar," a 2 hour and 7 minute instructional DVD published by www.HalLeonard.com). The clarity of both instruction and sound are excellent, including close-up finger playing in regular and slow-motion, tabs showing the licks as Kolb plays, and with the entire DVD running at a comfortable pace to get the ideas across. I recently reviewed Kolb's book/CD set "Soloing Strategies for Guitar" and I was very pleased to see that this DVD contains all new tips and ideas from which to integrate into one's playing. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of those videos that you will return to and explore time and again. There are so many ideas that as you work through the video you likely will forget many of the previous ingenuities. I made notes, but even then re-listening to the various lessons sparks ideas and directions in playing that you likely never knew existed. That is what I like about Kolb's work, in that he explains a concept and shows how to apply it in different situations (viz., with different scale concepts) and allows the listener to integrate that concept into his or her playing style and compositions. // 9

Comments