Full Moon Fever review by Tom Petty

• Released: Apr 25, 1989
Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever

I've liked Tom petty for a while, but never knew who that guy on the radio was until the superbowl sadly. Though Tom's first solo album, this 1989 album contains many classics and staples in their setlist your likely to hear at a Tom petty & Heartbreaker's show, and with good reason. There are four tracks on here I feel justify the purchase of this on their own, let alone the other eight.

As usual the lyrics feel somewhere between rock of the 70's and rock & roll of the 60's, which is by all means a good thing. Tom's voice has that strange charm to it that made me like his stuff before knowing who he was, though most Tom Petty songs I like are from this album, so I suppose that's to be expected.

Compared to other albums and the popular music of 1989 and the 80's in general, this thing was probably like a plastic butterknife being used with steak. For the right person it worked, but it made no sense in the context it was in. The best songs on it are easily Free Fallin' and I Won't Back Down, both classics of his for a reason, but there's a special place with me for Runnin' Down a Dream. For something to accompany the death of the hair metal age, this didn't make much sense. With the hindsight that it could be considered a placeholder of popular albums between hair metal and grunge though, it makes fine sense to me. Only reason I wouldn't buy it again is because I ripped it like I do all my CD's, so I'd just burn a copy of it.