Highway Companion review by Tom Petty

• Released: Jul 25, 2006
Tom Petty: Highway Companion

Okay, this CD's style of music changes with almost every song, but it is 100% Petty. The first track "Saving Grace" is really blues oriented, and the second song "Squere One" has minimal drums, and one rythem guitar, and then later a slow slide solo from mike. Some of these songs sound like they came strait from Mudcruntch (for those that don't know, it was one of tom's first bands), and others sound identical to slower tracks from Wildflowers(another great album, by the way). I like it, because it's just another solo album with Mike Campbell and Jeff Lynne, Which reproduce the Heartbreaker's sound perfectly, so it doesn't sound like a solo album at all.

About the lyrics, they are well thought and meaningful most of the time, and on this album there are a lot of exceptions. Some of the words don't fit right, and owning all of his albums, I'm disappointed, because usually, he pieces them together so well. That's not to say that all of the lyrics are trash, there are some songs like "Squere One" or "Flirting With Time" or "Down South" that use powerful ryming combonations and some soon-to-be classic petty lines.

To his others albums, I would say if you had to pick one, any Petty fan would pick Wildflowers or Into The Great Wide Open, or full moon fever, of some other great Heartbreaker album (but not Echo. It sucked). That wouldn't keep me from buying this album, it has some songs that I like a lot, and others that I reach for a remote or dial or something to switch it with. On this album Tom plays in addition to rhythm guitar and harmonica, lead guitar on a track, bass on a track, and percussion throughout the whole thing.

strickler78
    This is another great tom petty record, one of the best musicians of all time, can't wait to see him in concert
    _TheWorst
    The single from this album reminds me a lot of "La Grange" by ZZ Top. I always thought that was kind of funny considering all the trouble his publicist caused about the slight resemblence of the Dani California to Last Dance with Mary Jane. Ah well though. This is a neat little album anyways.
    allsenseslost
    im seeing him on the 12th with the allman brothers and im pretty psyched. i read in rolling stone he plans on playing a bunch of the new stuff but i hope he plays a lot of the classics.
    Marcolin
    I am going to see Tom Petty on August 8th and i can not wait, he is one of the greatest song writer ever !! and strickler78 !! I have Highway companion tabs that i fuigured if you need them ..
    strickler78
    If anyone has tabs for Highway Companion, please post, I want to learn as much as I can, it's such a great cd
    epiphonist13
    I saw him last year while on tour with the Black Crowes and was a little dissapointed, he gave them only 45 minutes to play and then took 2 hours to set up. By that point my interest was elsewhere. THis cd is great though!
    Big Tommy P
    aah, Tom Petty, now there's a guy who deserves a place in the top 10 songwriters of all time, just listen to American Girl for proof, too bad he won't come to australia