The Last DJ review by Tom Petty

• Released: Oct 8, 2002
Tom Petty: The Last DJ

Tom Petty has always been a great artist whether he is using his older, more rock and pop style or his newer more acoustic blend of music. This album can be seen as part of his transition towards slower paced songs that have a beautiful, mellifluous quality. These pieces in songs such as Dreamville, inspire the listener and stir up memories about the past. Though this album is primarily composed of songs that are clearly aimed against the music industry's increasing corporate evils, as seen in the songs, Joe and Money Becomes King, there are still songs that go follow the style of his previous album, Wildflowers. Tom Petty has always had a talent for the music that he creates. I find many of his songs have a quality that cause listeners to think and examine themselves. This type of emotion stirring music is more pronounced in his later albums and The Last DJ is no exception. Though the CD is primarily to alert others to the exploitation the music industry can cause, I think another interpretation could be how life can take a dark turn when we allow others to make decisions for us.

The lyrics are clearly very harsh and scathing on the radio and music industry. From the first song on the album, The Last DJ, till Can't Stop the Sun, it is fairly obvious that Tom Petty has an issue against these people. He blends his musical talents with his idealism very well in this album, even without the political message, this album would be a great success.

If you are looking for the fast-paced songs like the ones found in Full Moon Fever, you will not find too many of them in this album. The primary mood of this album is about getting listeners to think about their lives and also to bring the corruption of the music industry to attention. As such, this CD is like many other political based issues, if you have an interest in the situation, you will probably hate or love it depending on your position. For those who feel the music industry is completely right in all it's actions, then this CD might not be for you. For those that agree with Tom Petty, this album will not disappoint with it's melodies and guitar riffs. Though I agree with Tom Petty's views against the music industry, I feel that this CD might be too focused on the issue. For this reason, Tom Petty is not able to excercise his full music potential but this album is still a very good addition to all true fans of the man.

westozrocker
    I think another interpretation could be how life can take a dark turn when we allow others to make decisions for us. I think this too. It could also be about dissapearing freedoms.