Wildflowers review by Tom Petty

• Released: Nov 1, 1994
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Tom Petty: Wildflowers

I feel really like this album is kind of bland. When I actually listen to it, which is not very often, it's really good, but afterwards, I just get these memories of listening to it that are just like bleagh!, you know. All it is, basically, is acoustic guitar (I'm not even sure there's bass) and singing, even the drums are used sparingly. Appropriately enough, Dad bought it for "the price" rather than the fact that he liked any of the songs on it or anything. Tom really does have the potential to spin out some better stuff (check out my next Petty review, also his album Full Moon Fever), but this isn't it.

The lyrics aren't that impressive, it's not the music I really like where you have to search hard for the meaning, the lines containing the song titles pretty much sums it up (on some songs, you don't even have to look that far: take one guess as to what It's Good To Be King is about. Ironically that's the best or second-best song on the album). They go pretty good with the music, but for music like this, that's not saying something (in fact, that's not even a compliment).

It really doesn't compare to the reason I fell in love with this guy's music, i.e. Free Fallin'. They're both acoustics, but, in contrast with the album, Free Fallin' was upbeat and used drums so much that by the end of the song you can hardly make out the riff. It's a common failing with stars: once you (finally) start makin' hits, you churn out the good stuff for 5 albums, then turn into the kind of guy whose CDs are used as Kleenex. If I had to choose a best song, it would be Honey Bee, but it's the proverbial jewel in the mud. In short, it's bad.