Wildflowers review by Tom Petty

• Released: Nov 1, 1994
Tom Petty: Wildflowers

This was Petty's second "solo" album. "Solo" because you really can't hear the difference b/w his stuff with the Heartbrakers and his slbums on his own. Mike Campbell is always by his side, and some other band members also appear frequently. This album just has that Petty fell to it. It's more mellow (With a few exeptions), but in no way slow or boring. All of the songs are great and well crafted.

Lyrics and Petty go hand in hand. They were always great, and this album is no exeption. Petty's got a voice that grows on you, like Garcia, or Guthrie, or Dylan. His singing is above his usual average here. One song where the lyrics kinda fail is "Honey Bee", but it was recorded ass a joke in the first place, so I don't count it. I personally don't think it had a place on this album.

I love this album. I would consider it to be one of Petty's best. The band sounds great, classic Petty lyrics, and the songs are outstanding, with the exeption of "Honey Bee", but like I said, it was always a joke in Petty's eyes. If it were stolen, I would buy it again for sure. A must have for any Petty-fan.