Wildflowers review by Tom Petty

• Released: Nov 1, 1994
Tom Petty: Wildflowers

After sustained success with the Heartbreakers and massive commerical success on his own with Full Moon Fever, Tom Petty was going from strength to strength as a recording artist and his creative juices were flowing nicely during the recording of Wildflowers. Rick Rubin came on board and Petty went back to live recording with a more organic feel than the pop excellence of his late 80's work. Michael Kamen did some arrangements which were used to great affect and Steve Ferrone emerged as Petty's drummer on the sessions and is still with him today. Although not a Heartbreakers release, the boys inevitably made their contributions on record.

Tom Petty is one of the great rock lyricists and this album prooved no exception. The music gives a lot of feel to his lyrics and they got the perfect mix with this album, it won a grammy for best engineered album. Tom Petty continues with his mellower, more expressive vocals.

Wildflowers sits aside anything Petty has recorded and it is a fine rock album that can also hold water to anything his contempories came up with in the 90's. You Wreck Me, You Don't Know How It Feels, It's Good To Be King, Wake Up Time, Higher Ground, Wildflowers, there are so many great songs! I love the feel of the album, the range of emotions, the recording of the music, no gimmicks, does not sound dated. I'd always ensure I have this at the top of my collection.

itmustbejesus
    i think this album is ****ing amazing honeybee is without a doubt one of the sexiest songs ever written just that riff feels like a gorgeous woman strutting over to you in slow motion while the straps of her slowly slip off... yes he has slown down a bit more acoustic but who cares this album is a must have
    BurningStarlV
    Wildflowers is one of my favorite albums of all time. So many classic songs. Great for road trips.
    Breakingpoint56
    Just gonna throw this out there. But uh...this review is a little...behind? I mean it was only released 14 years ago. No biggie.