Oddfellows review by Tomahawk

• Released: Jan 29, 2013
Tomahawk: Oddfellows

It's nice when a 'supergroup' (eugh!) make enough of a name for themselves that they can escape that awful tag and build a career of their own. It's also nice when the label of 'alternative metal' is stuck to a band that's actually got some tunes, so on both counts we should feel lucky to have Tomahawk about. Fronted by professional schizophrenic Mike Patton and backed by an ensemble of luminaries from some of the best prog rock bands of the 90s, their record speaks for itself but their music speaks louder. They're one of Patton's less eccentric outfits, but their 2007 outing "Anonymous" was an album of supreme weirdness and new effort "Oddfellows", while a little lighter on the Native American chanting, does have its quirks. The album is split almost song-by-song between chunky rock and slow-burn jazz musings, refreshingly well-structured in both instances. First single "Stone Letters" bravely risks both verse and chorus in traditional fashion, while the grungey "Waratorium" boasts just one riff but moves with equal purpose. A few years ago the understated, unassuming "Rise Up Dirty Waters" would have drifted into endless channels of meandering but here it's wrapped up in a tight three minutes, and largely thanks to new bass player Trevor Dunn. An extremely accomplished player (and peer of inimitable avant-garde composer John Zorn), Dunn holds the band together wonderfully well, guiding them through piano and forte, consonance and dissonance to some of the best moments since their 2001 debut on "Baby Let's Play ____" and "White Hats/Black Hats". Listen out for him.

Of the 1,800 known vocal styles committed to tape by Mike Patton, only a small handful are trotted out here. The tireless bellows of the title track will be familiar to fans of Faith No More, while the mutters and whispers of "A Thousand Eyes" tease melody but offer far more in the way of atmosphere. At 45, we're looking at a man who may be starting to lose a little of his versatility to wear and tear, but his dedication to breaking new ground and doing so in the interest of the music stands up to scrutiny time and time again. That said, "Oddfellows" may not be his most memorable venture from a vocal perspective.

The delicate balance between stimulation and accessibility here is struck with regularity, maintaining a broad alternative rock appeal but hitting all the right buttons for nerdy musicians who may be listening. These songs repay further listening as time goes on, and the variety of sounds on offer mean that even if, say, the metally riffing turns you off at first, there'll be plenty else to keep you coming back until that sinks in too. Something which takes such investment to yield its full reward may not set the world alight but the arrival of Dunn on bass in particular has made a difference to Tomahawk; this might well be their best album since the eponymous debut all those years ago.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

dedbrane
    saw these guys years ago and The Melvins opened for them. it was an amazing show and i will always remember what Patton said to the crowd. "what up p-town?!?!? i dont know what you put in the water but every time i come here and drink it, i shit blood." i will always remember that, and this was damn near 10 years ago.
    BreatheOver
    Feel this review. I do feel like the guitar is more in the forefront on this album and less focused on eerie and ambient atmospheres made by Patton's vocals, synths, or other odd sounds...which is either a plus or minus depending on how you look at it
    swave75
    Mike Patton. I always smile when he puts something out no matter what band he is in cause you know it will be great.
    mrmckaid
    This is true Tomahawk right here. So happy they got down and dirty again for this one. Mit Gas and the eponymous were both specimens of beauty as well, but I still to this day don't quite understand Anonymous.
    DoubleBassCrash
    I won't say that this is a requirement to understand Anonymous, but having Native American roots in my family & knowing the background of a lot of the stuff that went into that album made a big difference for me, they kept it really authentic while still being Tomahawk. I'm in the minority here, Anonymous is my favorite from this truly unique band.
    Hail
    i met all these guys when they came to dallas last halloween, great musicians, great people
    the_jackyl
    Tomahawk are neither Prog Rock nor Alternative Metal.
    crazysam23_Atax
    After listening to the songs above, I'd have to agree. This doesn't have anything of either genre in it. Edit: I can sort of see the "Experimental Rock" though.
    metalheadssuck2
    wow people have no taste in music.
    biff022
    What does this mean? Do you mean that you like Tomahawk and don't understand why so few people are in on this conversation, as opposed to, say, an Alter Bridge album? Or is it you who has no taste in music and are all stoked on the Slash/Myles Kennedy collabo?