Live At Her Majesty's Theatre [DVD] Review

Production Quality: 9
 8.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Live At Her Majesty's Theatre [DVD] Reviewed by: tilleking, on june 11, 2007

Sound: In 2005, legendary guitar virtuoso Tommy Emmanuel returned home to Australia for a regional tour of the country where he performed many of his fans' favourite tunes plus a few new ones. He is something of an acoustic guitar guru. I only recently heard him on the "Guitarist" magazine DVD, playing/teaching an incredible song called "Antonella's Birthday". Because the song was so amazing and beautiful, more than anything, I bought this DVD. His sound is similar to that of Doyle Dykes: magnificent country-style acoustic guitar sounds. We see a vast range of sounds on the DVD (including the guitar-body tapping, producing a drum sound), which all sound incredible. However, he doesn't just play the guitar; he sings as well on a few tracks. The guitar is so great that the vocals actually aren't all that necessary, though let's just say that he doesn't have the best voice in the world. I'd say that this lets the DVD down a little, but it's not so bad that it's unbearable. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't compare the DVD to other albums of Tommy Emmanuel's, because I've never heard any. Though, I can compare him to Doyle Dykes. I've seen Doyle twice in concert, and he was incredible. Tommy is very similar to him. Their playing styles are both very similar. And both are incredible guitarists. The most impressive track on the DVD is probably "Antonella's Birthday". It's simply mind-blowing. "Cannonball Rag" is also an incredible track, because it's so fast. I think the singing lets the guitar down a little in places. Tommy Emmanuel's fiance, Elizabeth Watkins sings on several tracks, and she has a pretty good voice, though it's not as incredible as the guitar. If I lost the DVD, or it got stolen, I'd probably go for one of his CD's instead, rather than buy the DVD again. // 8

Comments