Tommyland: The Ride review by Tommy Lee

• Released: Aug 9, 2005
Tommy Lee: Tommyland: The Ride

Tommy Lee is back with another album. He is alot more experimental on this record. He invites several guest artists for vocals, keyboards, and backing vocals. Tommy plays all the drums on the album as expected. The guitars are done by Nickelback's Chad Kroeger, Dave Navarro, Benji Madden (it's a sad world yes) to name a few. The album has almost two different sides to it with a equal mix throughout twelve tracks for slower ballads to full-out rocking songs. There's even a violin on a couple of songs. There's lots of acoustic guitar in the rhythum sections also. It's really a surprising effort from Tommy Lee. I must say I'm impressed in general.

The lyrics are pretty good on this album. I am unsure on who wrote what songs. It doesn't say inside the art booklet, so I'm unaware of that. Tommy Lee's voice isn't bad at all. It's a lot better on slower songs definatley. It almost seems distorted in some pitches on the harder songs. Andrew McMahon sings on "I Need You" and it's a great track. It's one of the standout tracks really. Matt Sorum sings backup vocals on a couple of tracks also. One track is just 37 seconds long (Butler). Which is just stupid. Overall the singing is pretty good. It would be nice to know who wrote what songs though. Also, there is a female singing in here too, but I don't know who it is. Sorry.

This is Tommy Lee's best effort easily. He had a lot of help and it's pretty good help. Andrew McMahon plays keyboards, sings backup on a couple, and sings the entire "I Need You" track. There's a lot of Chad Kroeger it seems like. The acoustic guitar is great. I'm pretty happy with this album. I got it at K-Mart for 9.53 total. So for the money it was a good buy. There are only 11 tracks really on this album. The last track is a acoustic version of "Hello, Again". The better tracks are: "Good Times," "Hello Again," "Hello Again (acoustic)," "I Need You," "Tryin' To Be Me," "Make Believe," "Say Goodbye." The album offers a lot of variety overall and their are only two stupid tracks. The "Tired" track is terrible with the Madden boys and the poppy sounds. Other then that the album is consistent. Isn't that what we like?