Tommyland: The Ride review by Tommy Lee

• Released: Aug 9, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
Tommy Lee: Tommyland: The Ride

The "musical," and I use this term loosely, aspect of this "rock album" (I use that term just as loose), brings to mind visions of cat sacrifices and root canals. Saying the final product is an over-produced mesh of various clich chord progressions and ideas would be the understatement of the century. The only miraculous achievement the musicians can be credited to is the recording of a forty-minute album in less than twenty minutes. All in all, this album would make a great soundtrack to the 1937 Hindenburg.

Lee's lyrics were about as shallow as his personality, (not that I was expecting anything else), and contains such memorable gems as: "Just tryin' to be me, Why don't they leave me the hell alone?" "This is the English butler for young master Thomas Lee." "Where the hell you been?" "I'd rather play Halo on my TV." "It's exciting, In the beginning, The first four weeks, When you f--k five times a day." Listen at your own risk, you might drown in such deep lyrics.

Other than making a great coaster to set my brews on, this album also showcases Tommy Lee's unsurpassed creativity and musical knowledge, which the world has not been privileged to witness since the latest installment of "Kidz Bop." There were positives sprinkled very sparingly onto this album, however. For example, all the songs came to an end, and, well, actually, that's it. Listening to this record made the small respect I once had for the former drummer of Motley Crue vanish completely. Let's just hope for his sake that he contracts a terminal illness fairly soon so he could actually die with some dignity.