Tommyland: The Ride Review

artist: Tommy Lee date: 01/15/2007 category: compact discs
Tommy Lee: Tommyland: The Ride
Released: Aug 9, 2005
Label: TL Education Services, Inc.
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal
There are some things in the world that provide balance, and a record like Tommyland is the fulcrum on which all things that actually matter rest.
 5.3
 4.6
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
Tommyland: The Ride Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on august 11, 2005

Sound: Tommy Lee is back with another album. He is alot more experimental on this record. He invites several guest artists for vocals, keyboards, and backing vocals. Tommy plays all the drums on the album as expected. The guitars are done by Nickelback's Chad Kroeger, Dave Navarro, Benji Madden (it's a sad world yes) to name a few. The album has almost two different sides to it with a equal mix throughout twelve tracks for slower ballads to full-out rocking songs. There's even a violin on a couple of songs. There's lots of acoustic guitar in the rhythum sections also. It's really a surprising effort from Tommy Lee. I must say I'm impressed in general. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good on this album. I am unsure on who wrote what songs. It doesn't say inside the art booklet, so I'm unaware of that. Tommy Lee's voice isn't bad at all. It's a lot better on slower songs definatley. It almost seems distorted in some pitches on the harder songs. Andrew McMahon sings on "I Need You" and it's a great track. It's one of the standout tracks really. Matt Sorum sings backup vocals on a couple of tracks also. One track is just 37 seconds long (Butler). Which is just stupid. Overall the singing is pretty good. It would be nice to know who wrote what songs though. Also, there is a female singing in here too, but I don't know who it is. Sorry. // 8

Overall Impression: This is Tommy Lee's best effort easily. He had a lot of help and it's pretty good help. Andrew McMahon plays keyboards, sings backup on a couple, and sings the entire "I Need You" track. There's a lot of Chad Kroeger it seems like. The acoustic guitar is great. I'm pretty happy with this album. I got it at K-Mart for 9.53 total. So for the money it was a good buy. There are only 11 tracks really on this album. The last track is a acoustic version of "Hello, Again". The better tracks are: "Good Times," "Hello Again," "Hello Again (acoustic)," "I Need You," "Tryin' To Be Me," "Make Believe," "Say Goodbye." The album offers a lot of variety overall and their are only two stupid tracks. The "Tired" track is terrible with the Madden boys and the poppy sounds. Other then that the album is consistent. Isn't that what we like? // 8

Tommyland: The Ride Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 20, 2005

Sound: "Tommyland: The Ride," out June 2005, is Tommy Lee's second solo album and the one that's supposed to reveal his inner world (according to him). It's the soundtrack to his tell-all book from last year and takes the name from the book's name as well. The album has quite a freaky bag of guests that include Matt Sorum, Butch Walker, Carl Bell, Benji & Joel Madden, Nick Carter, Deryck Whibley, and Dave Navarro. Motley Crue and Backstreet Boys? Weird combination. Or we shouldn't judge the musicians by what they were forced to do in their past projects? The opener "Good Times" made me be like "Did I put Switchfoot CD in my CD player by mistake?" It's hard to believe that soft-pop-rock songs belong to Motley Crue drummer. I can imagine Tommy being like "Really, my new CD is music that I like. I'm really into pop, bro! I play in Motley Crue just so that people would think I'm cool." In fact Tommy confesses he likes Switchfoot, so that might as well be true... Driving guitars of "Trying To Be Me" is the first sign to remind Tommy is still Motley Crue's drummer. A pretty good song from a musical side, but cheesy because of it's lyrics. A song about how hard it is to be a rock (or pop?) star nowdays -? all those cell phone cameras, paparazzi... Probably the song with the most pop-contents, it smells like "Backstreet Boys." I started to think that singing about "I am what I am" and "I just want to live the way I want, I am just a man" is finally out of fashion after everybody, including Lindsey Lohan, sang about that... And this song was picked to be a single -- weird. I wish his management chose a different audience, than teenage girls, for Tommy's records. "I Need You," featuring Andrew McMahon from Something Corporate, was probably inspired by X-Files. Quite a good song though, except the association with dark cellars, aliens and water, dropping from the top, drown by swirling keyboards. The song as well has melancholy mood and violins in the best traditions of tearful ballads. The duet with the British female singer Dirty Harry "Makin' Me Crazy" is the most interesting track on the album. It would take you some practice to learn to sing the chorus as fast as they do. "Sister Mary," featuring crunchy guitars, is the only song from the whole CD that could appear on Motley Crue's album. Closing acoustic version of "Hello Again" is better, than the original song in the begging of the disc. Tommy's voice's very honest and soulful, it seems that he's singing, sitting next to you with his guitar. // 7

Lyrics: I'm actually happy Tommy made this record to show us he can sing pretty well, instead of sitting behind a drum-set all the time. He got some help from his friends -- Good Charlotte's Joel Madden yells out at the top of his vocal abilities "Tommy got tired of Pamela, Ed got tired of Salma, Puffy got tired of J.Lo and Ben did, too... I'm just tired of you!" in "Tired." Unlike most pop songs, the lyrics here are original and fresh at times. Songs have some jokes ?- like that part of "Tired" about finding a perfect girlfriend "She'll be my beast friend/And she'll make me com.plete... And when I find her, I'll take two." "The Butler" is an outgoing message from supposedly Tommy Lee's butler, who talks about garter belts, champagne corks, panties and high heels as well as partying on the roof with plenty of brew. The unobtrusive reminder of what a real rock-star life is supposed to be like. // 6

Overall Impression: Well, with everything I have against pop, I must admit ?- that is a good quality contemporary pop-rock, and it is actually nice listening to and singing along. It brought me some good memories of being in my early teens -? when I believed, that there's nothing better in the world, than boybands. One thing I learned after that time ? if the song is too chart-oriented, it's not music, it's business. Sorry to say, I had these feelings listening here too. I've heard Tommy Lee's work at some other weird projects before. Seems like the musician still hasn't decided "what he's gonna do in the future." It's quite hard to imagine bad boy Tommy making a record with Nick Carter (thanx God it's not Aaron Carter). Not that the CD is bad, it's just far from what I expected, but it's a set of pretty good pop-rock songs with a lot of catchy tunes. Simple and hooky melodies stick in your head and you walk all day, happily singing "Take me awaaaaaaay/To a place where the good times good times roooooll." // 6

Tommyland: The Ride Reviewed by: Truth?, on january 15, 2007

Sound: The "musical," and I use this term loosely, aspect of this "rock album" (I use that term just as loose), brings to mind visions of cat sacrifices and root canals. Saying the final product is an over-produced mesh of various clich chord progressions and ideas would be the understatement of the century. The only miraculous achievement the musicians can be credited to is the recording of a forty-minute album in less than twenty minutes. All in all, this album would make a great soundtrack to the 1937 Hindenburg. // 1

Lyrics: Lee's lyrics were about as shallow as his personality, (not that I was expecting anything else), and contains such memorable gems as: "Just tryin' to be me, Why don't they leave me the hell alone?" "This is the English butler for young master Thomas Lee." "Where the hell you been?" "I'd rather play Halo on my TV." "It's exciting, In the beginning, The first four weeks, When you f--k five times a day." Listen at your own risk, you might drown in such deep lyrics. // 1

Overall Impression: Other than making a great coaster to set my brews on, this album also showcases Tommy Lee's unsurpassed creativity and musical knowledge, which the world has not been privileged to witness since the latest installment of "Kidz Bop." There were positives sprinkled very sparingly onto this album, however. For example, all the songs came to an end, and, well, actually, that's it. Listening to this record made the small respect I once had for the former drummer of Motley Crue vanish completely. Let's just hope for his sake that he contracts a terminal illness fairly soon so he could actually die with some dignity. // 1

Comments