What Are You So Scared Of? review by Tonight Alive

• Released: Oct 1, 2011
Tonight Alive: What Are You So Scared Of?

Upon listening to this band I thought that they sounded like a Paramore carbon copy. Then I thought, "Wow, this is quite interesting!" Being a pop-punk band fronted by a female, makes it all the more interesting. I think Paramore at times went a little on the poppy side. This band, however, is all about pop-punk, and boy do I love them! Aside from the fact that the band is fronted by a really hot singer named Jenna McDougall, I just love how the songs are heartfelt, and you can really tell just by the way she sings. Instrumentation is quite impressive, as well. I saw them play acoustic at Warped Tour and I was absolutely amazed. God, I just wish I had gotten more pictures of Jenna though.

Lyrics are flatout great. It may sound surprising, but Jenna does gather some good songwriting skills. In the title track, "What Are You So Scared Of?", some of the lyrics go like this: "Well it's a sad truth, living with these hungry hands. It's a shame, we don't know how much we have. We're scared of what we do not know. No matter where we wanna go." Pretty much she is saying how it's sad how we live in a world where people are hungry to get anything that they want, and don't look into what we have. And that people don't like anything new or foreign to themselves that they don't know. That's my take on the lyrics, so excuse me if my interpretation is not spot on or clear enough for you. Another song, and also one of my favorites, titled, "Starlight", has some very thoughtful lyrics as well. "I guess it's kinda funny We always throw away our money Right when we need it most." I love these lines because the fact of it is so true, and Jenna really means well with it, and within all of her songs you can really tell. But wait... The lyrics continue from there with, "But honestly I'm happy. I don't wanna worry about How we got to be so broke."

There isn't quite a favorite song I'd say, since I love just about every single song, but I really like "Starlight", "Thank You & Goodnight", "To Die For", "What Are You So Scared Of?" and "Breaking & Entering". "Thank You & Goodnight" actually features guest vocals from Mark Hoppus of Blink-182. I loved the way he fit in with Jenna. Other than that, I'll stop praising about the lovely Miss Jenna McDougall, and get to the point that I think that these guys will be pretty big one day. I can just see it happening. Great effort from these guys overall.