10,000 Days review by Tool

• Released: Apr 28, 2006
Tool: 10,000 Days

I'm a huge Tool fan and this album sounds just as good as the others production wise. I first heard the single and I think that is a great opening track but after listening to the whole album it really does explore many different soundscapes that are nothing like the opening track vicarious.It reallys covers a lot of ground with alot of things you wound not expect from Tool. At first I was put off by some of the songs but listening to the album a whole is a journey just like there other albums then when you fully understand a track its great to listen to by itself. That bands sound has moved on alot but has also got the Tool sound. I've heard a few people say the sound is like Lateralus which at first impressions it may seem that way and in parts of the album it does but then in others parts it sounds nothing like it. This is a new album after all and it sounds that way. All the playing on it is great, the drums are great as usual. We all know Danny is a bloody gun and the the bass is great. I saw another review that said that adam was playing 10,000 miles away in some parts, I see his point but it's Tool, maybe that's what he was trying to do who knows, only they do. Also some parts don't sound as well put together as Lateralus but maybe there put together that way on purpose as well (maybe they just stuffed up). The overall playing is great.

The lyrics are very mixed there some that make you think about the world and humanity, death and lose and others that sound like tripping on drugs if that has a sound. There are some lines that I just think to myself 'was he tripping when he wrote this'. Rosetta Stoned has got really weird lyrics but after a few listens I found it to be very funny and I think that may be the point of the song. The lyrics to the Wings Songs are perfect they really get the message across, very emotional. The lyrics to Right In Two is also a highlight for me. There is a sense of humour to a lot of the lyrics which at first I found very different to past Tool albums almost like a parody of human life not that Tool have lacked a sense of humour in the past. Whatever the lyrics meaning or purpose thay do get a message across whatever that may be for each listener which Maynard has always done well I think. The lyrics nearly always mix in with the music very well. As for the singing Maynard is all over the place singing in many different styles and voices which after a few listens I really like.

This is such a hard album to review because my thoughts on it are forever changing. There are many things I like about it. The Wings Songs being an emotional jouney. Jambi and Vicarious are rocking. The Pot for being different. Rosetta Stoned for being at first making me think what the hell is this and then liking it and laughing at it. And Right In Two starts off slow then builds up to a nice ending also. As I said before it covers a lot of ground and after listening to it a few times I find myself thinking about the album in new ways. I now see that the album has three major pieces of music that have the different subject matter wings for Marie/10,000 Days deals with death and Maynards mother and is very emotional.Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned is just a trip to say the least (UFOs and Acid). Intension and Right In Two I believe deal with humanitys beginnings and then actions. These three songs are all 15minutes plus then you have three songs that are 6 to 8 mintures my point is that this album seems like three or four albums in the space of an album. I'm listening to Rosetta Stoned thinking was Wings really on this album it seems a life time ago. The more I listen the more I like it. Live these songs are going to take on new life and they will be great. This album make you think about what tool really is and I think at the end of the day there whatever they want to be and thats why I respect them and can't wait till they tour. This album is not flawless there are things I don't like but it provokes me to think and to feel (and laugh) just like Lateralus and past Tool albums and few bands can do that as well as Tool. I will buy this album when it cames out.

hthedinga
    jazzy? maybe you mean that one little riff on track 10. i can make the conncetion there, but what else?
    ZeppelinFan3890
    Leng wrote: I can play every TOOL song on the guitar and drums, so I know from experience how difficult their progressions are. Trust me, I play at least a few songs by the fastest metal bands and thrashers like Malmsteen and Angelo. Speed doesn't make a song difficult, it's the progressions. It took me almost two weeks of staying up half of every single night to learn all the progressions in Jambi alone and record it on my drums, guitar, and bass with acceptable results. And Jambi isn't even the hardest song from 10,000 Days.
    You want a cookie?
    pats88
    Guitar_Poet
    pats88 wrote: As always drummer Danny Carey fails to impress. if that isnt a typo, you must die. however, is this album you've all been hearing for real? ive heard they released a fake album. but i hear alot of things. just curious. im as excited about this album as anyone else. vicarious is simply incredible. i dont think any band touches tool's originality and style. they are amazing. danny carey is the best drummer ive ever heard.
    well if they released a fake album (which i highly doubt), its pretty damn good. =) and danny carey is awesome. definitely one of my fav.s, along with mike portnoy =)
    brownsound_00
    Guitar_Poet wrote: is "Right In Two" in 11/4? haha... sweet. one two three one two three one two three one two....
    yeah thats the thing about carey, he uses tons of different timings, which is one of the reasons he is so unique. ex.like i just listen to ticks and leeches...i think thats in 7/4