10,000 Days review by Tool

• Released: May 2, 2006
Tool: 10,000 Days

Tool at its finest. This is a great album for Maynard, Adam, Justin, and Danny to go out on. They incorporate the same good innovative Tool sound with new elements and experiments. This album tends to bounce back and fourth between Tool's heavy side and their twisted deep softer sounds. They have done it right with every album and this one is no different. This is Tool.

Maynard lead Tool in the vocal department and in my opinion in the department greatest frontmen of all time. His voice is pure ranging from higher octaves to low thundering versus and choruses of deep thought. The lyrics on this album are as deep and contorting as ever. They question modern day thinking and the mayhem of our cultural norms. This voice of James Keenan Maynard and words go great with the soud capitalizing on a great band.

If I recall, VH1 had Tool on their top 100 or 50 but not in their top 10 greatest metal band of all time. To me thats some justice to the boys of Tool but not near enough. This band has outlasted many other groups and has been and will continue to be influential in where our rock and metal music go from here on out. This album is another one of those where if your a true lover of good music, Tool is where its at.

metalhammer
    Good comments toolfender29. Basically he is trying to convey, that people hide behind their wrong deeds and make it seem like it makes sense. When somebody questions the wrong information, they ask us who are we to wave our finger. I don't think it has much to do with the gold rush, but then agian it might cuz it seems like a concept album, lipan conjuring does have an indian theme to it .. and during the gold rush many of these indians were killed for asking the americans not to step on their land. Plus there were unfair trials as well. We i hope i made sense .. lol. TOOL R ULES !!
    Ac/dc_Zeppelin
    Kerzant
    dudes..i cant find the lyrics in viginti tres...although i read them in a lyrics page..the lyric is very..mmm somber maybe..dont know..plz some1 help me..im indignant
    Maggotkiller
    MaynardisJesus is right Tool's music is much more deeper than all you narrow minded people but then again you'd have to be a genius to understand their lyrics to the fullest. This Album is so immersive man I'm really into the changing sounds of the album try to listen to it when it's pitch black the tribal chants will make you paranoid!
    Deliriumbassist
    zartists.net wrote: "willy12"(and alot of other fools) said-- "10000 days just isnt tool" Maynard doesn't give a shi* what you think and neither does anyone else. 10,000 days is only the beginning. we are all being prepared for a far larger picture...
    not just Maynard... there are 3 other band members who have just as much (if not more) input into the band
    zartists.net
    Deliriumbassist
    Ac/dc_Zeppelin wrote: Buy this album now or you will die.... AND OMG THE CANADIAN COVER...THE ONE WITH THE FUNKY LENSES THAT MAKES THE PICTURE LOOK ALL TRIPPY IS WELL....THE SHIT!!!!
    don't ALL the albums all over the world have the "funky lenses that makes the picture look all trippy?" the UK ones definately do... cos I have it
    TyphoidSpider
    I only just bought it (20 minutes ago) as I live in regional Australia, and I wasn't going to download (steal) it. I am going to play it right through once I finish backing it up. I'm so excited!
    Zug Thug Seany
    this cd to me was amazing, i bought it the day it came out...but hadnt listend to it thoroughly until last night when I was high...tool is amazing at their lyrics not only with their complexity, but how they mix with the music...all in all it was awesome to me....but one thing is...you guys who look for meanings to their songs...whatever you find, unless its directly from Maynard himself...could totally be wrong...but....the ideas you guys have, are awesome too...awesome album, awesome band...
    willy12
    thanks got-trivium. i have listened to 10000 days a few more times and it just doesnt do it for me the songs are to long and 11:14 for a song with no meaning is a little far fetched for tool i just dont like it. all the other albums are awesome like aenima and laterus. sorry all you tool fan wanna be people but 10000 days just isnt tool
    got_trivium?
    Useful_Idiot16 wrote: willy12 wrote: dont get me wrong i am a huge tool fan that! haha obviouslllllyyyyy not!
    you dont have to like everything a band puts out to be a fan of it.
    maynardisjesus
    Also I thought Id add for anyone interested the similarities between "stinkfist" and "vicarious" they both are about Television. Stinkfist covering the fact that we again and again try and go further with tv to shock ourselves because once we shock ourselves we eventually get used to it and need to go further and further to feel anything. Vicarious is more about reality tv in general as a society we now have this strong belief in watching other people live (and die) through our tv's rather than going out and experiencing our lives for ourselves. And anyone who really wants to debate me on the meaning of stinkfist before you do watch the music video. Please above all dont post that stinkfist is really about anal fisting if your that narrow minded to believe maynard is that transparent then we dont even need to talk. I really like the tie ins to the older material. It just proves what one of my friends had to say about tool "of all rock bands today tool isnt just throwing this stuff together they actually know what there doing and what you hear is what they want you to hear." Tool's not just noise that they hope sounds good to people they are artist's It's just like painting a picture not everyone's gonna think it's a master piece but to those it touches it may mean more than you can imagine.
    maynardisjesus
    toolfender29 wrote: Oh, by the way.....In a previous post I asked about a particular line in "Right In Two". I think Maynard repeats, "Carve it all right in two" (3:37) does anyone hear something different?
    Sounds like "gotta divide it all right in two" to me I thought the same thing about the 10,000 days song He's not so much saying there is a god or not he's saying that if there is Judith Marie is more deserving than most to get acceptance into heaven. I think a undertone of the song also is lots of people are semi hypocritical in there beliefs which I see very commonly in religion today, To many people say one thing and act differently. One thing all say about the Lsd comments is if you get a chance eat LSD and listen to blame hoffman it is extremely "trippy" it messes with your mind the most of all the songs. However I have a theory on rosetta stoned I dont believe its actually about trippying and seeing an alien abduction while he did mention it that actually makes alot of sense. Maynard takes a heavy influence from Bill Hicks and in many of bill's skits about tripping he mentions alien abductions and such. My theory however on rosetta stoned looks back at Aenima more specifically "Third Eye" that song is obviously about tripping Third Eye actually being a Bill Hicks reference also anyways Thrid Eye Paints a very glourious picture of tripping showing mostly the good parts of it. Rosetta Stoned however starts off in a hospital and is very raw angry bad emmotions confusion. The things that can happen a "Bad Trip". However by the end he starts to calm himself. So my basic thought is that It shows that tripping while is a good time and something I highly recommend everyone trying at least once can be bad but just remember its only a temporary change and everything will be ok again soon. Just my thoughts feel free to comment. And thanks toolfender for finding the reference to kangaroo trials.
    JimmysPage
    ok...i waited 5 long years for this album thinking there is no way in hell that the boys were going to be able to top lateralus. the title track on that album is a masterpiece. but these guys never cease to amaze me. this album is an absolute landmark in rock music along with their last album. from start to finish, "10,000 Days" takes the listener on a melodic journey through maynards, adams, justins, and dannys minds. even though the majority of the album's songs clock in at over 7 minutes, they dont feel that long. they flow so easily that the time just slithers by. i believe that this album will gain the status as a must own for any collection along with Zeppelin's fourth and jimi hendrix's "axis: bold as love". Tool has just cemented themselves as rock deities assuring their places in rock heaven when they die. people if you dont own this album yet, please pick it up. oh and just so we all know, "Right In Two" is the shit. end of discussion.
    Deliriumbassist
    DaBlackE wrote: KoRnFr33K7 wrote: pmc_funkbass wrote: so are you sayn its a dissapointing album or a sweet one? cause im confused. the first guy seems to hate and like it at the same time? and another thing. tool is a talented band, but nothing that technical. not tryn to start stuff cause i know their are alot of haters, but trivium do know thier instruments very well, and so does lamb of god. and Ryan martinie(mudvayne) is an alot bettr bassist than tools. just stating facts. yes finally some one thinks the bassist of mudvayne is great. to bad he quit playing his insane jazz metal slapping riffs from ld 50 and moved on to gay nu metal bass. Didn't Korn start gay nu metal bass?
    dude.... the bass riff to Happy? ain't nu-metal... it utilises a bass technique I never heard of before until that point in the chorus- tapped octaves. Nu-metal bass is all slap and root notes... Ryan Martinie don't do that all the time.
    toolfender29
    And One last thing I promise.....harry'mb you're right: at 8:37 in Rosetta Stoned lies one of the absolute highlights of this album. This is why we listen to Tool, for these hidden gems!
    toolfender29
    harry_manback wrote: Some interesting thoughts in there. Yes Judith Marie did have a stroke that left her paralyzed for 27 yers before she passed. That is the main subject for wings/10000 days. What I get out ok 10kd though, is not maynard's reafomation of faith, but rather his acknowledgement of Judith's unwavering faith. WHile he may not agree with her beliefs he respects her for keeping them, even in the worst of times. Lost keys and Rosetta Stoned (the doctor track you reffered to) I have a hard time believing is a true to life telling of maynard. I think it's just a track he wrote about a guy on an acid trip that has a halucination about some extra terestrials. Best part of the album lies in that song at about 8:30 by the way.
    I agree with you, harry'mb. I did not mean to imply that Maynard had somehow embraced religion. I also do not think that Rosetta Stoned is an autobiographical telling of an experience from Maynard's life. Though, I had not considered that the track was the story of an alien abduction (but, it seems plausible as I consider it). Also, the "(Blame Hofman)" in the title would lead one to believe that LSD was involved either literally or figuratively. I also completely agree with you that Maynard expresses admiration for his mother's apparent unwavering faith (e.g. "You are the light, the way, that they will only read about" and "You're the only one who can hold your head up high / Shake your fist at the gates saying, "I have come home now!" and "But enough about the collective judas / Who could deny you were the one who illuminated / Your little piece of the divine" All of these quotes from Wings pt. 2 seem to express Maynard's admiration for Judith Marie.
    John_Petrucci92
    i'll admit, the first time listening.. i (like everyone else) went into it with big expectations. was i disappointed? yea. but the second time shattered all that i wanted to actually hear (metal elements) and every single song got to me. i took it for what it was and i embraced it..... and wow. it even seems as if the instruments have deep, twisted things to say. im still in the process of looking at the songs from a different angle and under a different light (-i know, i stole it from maynard). everytime something new is shown to me... there is something different about this album, though... does anyone else think this is a piece of some puzzle? or at least has some little pieces that connect to other albums.....? something's up with this cd, but i like it. my favorite song is either rosetta stoned or right in two.... or wings pt 1 & 2. or the pot..... eh, its all good.
    phoenix_88
    jsatch87... i totally agree wings/10,000 days have some of the best parts on the album. the whole album is amazing in my opinon. and i know there's a ton of meaning under it all in the lyrics and stuff like that... but right now, i'm still concerned with just how awesome the album is and how amazing adam jones' playing is. right in two is in three... anyone else find that slightly funny?
    jsatch87
    Maggotkiller wrote: This Album is Awesome best songs are cold and ugly Jamba Wings of Marie pt.1 and 2 (10,00 days) and Vicarious. This cd gave me goose bumps it was so good it took me about three listens to get into it though but that's normal from Tool.
    cold and ugly isn't on this album you dipshit. but anyway, at first i wasn't so sure how i felt about the album. but now i've decided that it's my favorite tool release to date. all of you people who complain about the "white noise" and all that shit are just bashing it for the sake of bashing it. and for people who don't think wings 1 and wings 2 are listenable songs just must have the attention span of a 3 year old. open up your mind and take in the music.
    phflinckq
    Did anybody notice that rosetta stoned is 11 minutes and 11 seconds long, and for the most part is in 11/8 timing? I can't tell if it's deliberate or not, though I remember seeing an interview where he said that people on drugs notice synchronized stuff and say "whoa that's so trippy"...maybe a connection?
    Mik3_D
    Tool is one of my favorite bands and I've liked EVERY album they've ever put out... Except this one. Its the worst album I've ever heard from them. They are way better than this. I dont know what made them think this shit was worth putting out.
    Eni9ma~
    i must be the only one on here who thinks the new album sux...i only listened to it all the way through once...and i really didnt like it...loved undertow, aenima, lateralus, but this one just dont cut it for me...it just sounds like more of the same...
    harry_manback
    Forgot to put this in my above post. 10,000 days is egual to about 27 years. OOOOOooooo. Get it?
    harry_manback
    toolfender29 wrote: I've been listening to the album and attempting to discern the meaning behind the songs, and the album as a whole. This, of course, is a somewhat useless endeavor because ultimately this album means many things to different people. Here's my take so far: Each track is a continuation of the one that preceeds it, so that the album is one extended piece. Somewhat obvious perhaps, but I'm explaining my train of thought. Lyrically, there is a definate overtone of faith and the after-life. I posit that this album (lyrically) is the story of one person's dilemma with "God", religion, humanity, and the after-life. As you follow the tracks, you learn that this individual struggles with his own dark desires, hypocrisy, and fears (e.g. Vicarious & Jambi). Yet, there is a woman that this character obviously admires and seems to somewhat consider a saint. The character feels this woman can change him or make him "good" (this is first hinted at in Jambi, but is more overtly alluded to in Wings 1 & 2). Here's the interesting thing I've discovered: In Wings 2, Maynard refers to "Judith Marie" as a "Pillar of Faith" and states that she should raise her fist when she gets to heaven and demand her wings. Maynard also states, "10,000 days in the fire's long enough. You're going home". I found a reference that Maynard's late mother was named Judith Marie, that she was in a coma (due to stroke) for approximately 10,000 days, and that she recently passed. I do not know if this info. is correct, but these haunting tracks have definately taken on a more emotional quality for me now. Remember, Maynard has been quite outspoken about his beliefs and opinions regarding religion. Perhaps, his mother's passing has caused some cognitive dissonance and Maynard is processing and recapitulating his schemas regarding these issues. The next track is The Pot, in which Maynard basically states, "Don't judge me." and obviously has some hard feelings toward another's choices (this is common when a family suffers a loss). Tracks 7 and 8 are quite interesting. In track 7 a doctor is attempting to talk to a man that is apparently unstable and refusing to speak (the doctor has an Australian accent and in "The Pot" Maynard mentions a Kangaroo several times ????). Track 7 ends with the doctor coaxing the man to speak. Track 8 begins with a man saying, "Alrighty, then", after that, you get a man explaining this incredible story that is quite disjointed, jumbled, and incoherent at first (similar to "word salad" and Schizophrenics). The story ends more coherently, with the man explaining that he's had a vision and knows the fate of the world. He explains that he is quite troubled by this, as anyone would be. Track 11, seems to be a hint at the vision that this man had: that of angels looking with "puzzlement and amusement" at all of us "talking monkeys killing each other over pieces of the ground". Puts things into perspective doesn't it? There's my 2 cents. Any insights would be appreciated.
    PenRoKachy
    In "Right In Two" at 3:37 Maynard is saying "Gotta Divide It All Right In Two". Its hard to hear but thats what I think hes saying...try listening a few times and you'll hear it. (hint: thw words Gotta and Divide are almost blended together, listen for it)