10,000 Days review by Tool

• Released: May 2, 2006
Tool: 10,000 Days

Many people consider tool to be either "prog. metal" or "prog. rock." This is mainly because of their variations of instruments, singing styles, and overall CD of each CD. "10,000 days" is probably one of their loudest CDs (next to Opiate and Undertow) and in songs like "Vicarious" and "The Pot" this is more or less proven. The guitar in "Vicarious" is without a doubt some of the best guitar work I've heard from Adam Jones, and in "The Pot" Justin Chancellor shows off his incrdible bass skills.

Now, with every new Tool CD, comes a new "puzzle" of lyrics. In "10,000 days" Maynard really starts to pick at your brain with complicated lyrics and what seems to be random gibberish (Rosetta Stoned). In "Vicarious" there is a very clear message about our modern media society and how people love to see others suffer. This song is pretty creepy too. The lyrics in this cd have blown me away! Without the music I would still buy this CD just to try and pick apart what Maynard is saying and try and put it together again and see what weird, messed up message there is (if any at all).

This CD is in no way similar to any of theire previous releases, and thats good. The best songs on this cd are "Vicarious" and "Right In Two". Oddly enough, these are the two songs that differ most from tools older work. The one thing I hate about this CD is that the songs go on for too long, and I think they could have replaced those longer songs with shorter, more enjoyable songs. I mean "Part Of Me" is only like 4 min long, and that is an incredible song (for those of you that haven't heard Opiate yet, it's from that CD). Everything else about this cd I love, even the creepy interludes, like "Lipan Conjuring". I actually lost this CD before, and I was prepared to go out and buy another copy, but I found it again in my friends car. However, if I had not found I would have most definately bought another! The artwork is worth the $13 I paid alone, it's incredible!

catchtherainbow
    well Tool isnt all about giving kick ass riffs and lyrics...they're more of a "experience" band..u gotta know the meanings behind the music...and u will certainly see the blending of the ideas...and The Pot is definitely a great song...and if they just repeat hard rocking songs..u critics might just label the album as repetitive...WTF