10,000 Days review by Tool

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: May 2, 2006
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 10
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 9.1 (832 votes)
Tool: 10,000 Days
1

Sound — 8
Well the album starts off with a bang, "Vicarious" and "Jambi" display everything that Tool is, technical, musical and creative. But this is shortly lived. The next two songs, which happen to be a two part story, "Wings for Marie (part 1)" and 10,000 Days (Part 2), Just seem to drag on and on, and are a real step down from the first two tracks on the album. After 17:24 minutes of what seems to be pure filler, "The Pot" is a real breath of fresh air and shows another side of Tool. It opens with some melodic vocals, and then kicks in with one of the most impressive bass-lines I've heard in a very long time. Tool begin to show their Progressive side, with "Lipan Conjuring" and "Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)", They may not be memorable songs or even very good. But they are a good bridge/interlude section for the album, and they're not the longest of songs, so it doesn't really matter. And yet another great song,"Rosetta Stoned" has a more hard rock feel to it than the other songs on the album, but it is great non-the-less. Very fast vocals over some great hard rock riffs start off the song. And the breakdown of the song shows the prog-rock side of Tool we all know and love. The last three songs aren't the most memorable, but if I had to choose the best out of the Three I'd go with "Right in Two". Although I guess I'm just choosing the lesser of three evils.

Lyrics — 10
Well I've always seen something special in Tool's lyrics, and this album is no different. Covering some of the darkest aspects of human emotions in "Vicarious" and even covering the effects of drugs in "The Pot". The lyrics really make this album great.

Overall Impression — 9
If it wasn't for the countless filler songs, I would rate this as the best Tool album to date. But don't get me wrong, it is still worth the buy even if it's just for "Vicarious", "Jambi", "The Pot" and "Rosetta Stoned". Over-all it was well-worth the listen and I can't wait to see them on tour.

14 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Nedir Kire
    I got the album from my friend; it's a F***ING AWESOME ALBUM. Tool really shows that originality has no limits. Maynard's vocs are sweet as usual, guitars are grungy and creep-ish - hell.... the whole band is their own form of creepy, psychotic original whatever. Love 'em!!!!!
    DaliLama
    coquet wrote: how the **** is this cd getting such good reviews in the lyrics department?!? i love tool, the band that used to sing about prison sex and getting a stink fist. on 10,000 days, they sing about ****ing abstinence! what the ****!?! lyrics: 5, because maynard is doing a ****ing 180
    Well, Prison Sex isn't really about prison sex, but he uses it to explain the generational passing on of child abuse. And Stinkfist is tounge-in-cheek about how in order to get your attention, Maynard has to sing about something like anal fisting. Of course, you just took it at face value didn't you? "Haha yeah Maynard rules, fist f uckin g that's toatlly awesome yeah dude rock on!" You must have missed: "Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be, desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?"
    foomandan
    i love the album but i think they should cut down on the long time of constant effects.
    cgibin
    DaliLama wrote: Well, Prison Sex isn't really about prison sex, but he uses it to explain the generational passing on of child abuse. And Stinkfist is tounge-in-cheek about how in order to get your attention, Maynard has to sing about something like anal fisting. Of course, you just took it at face value didn't you? "Haha yeah Maynard rules, fist f uckin g that's toatlly awesome yeah dude rock on!" You must have missed: "Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be, desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?"
    Very well put.
    catchtherainbow
    cgibin wrote: DaliLama wrote: Well, Prison Sex isn't really about prison sex, but he uses it to explain the generational passing on of child abuse. And Stinkfist is tounge-in-cheek about how in order to get your attention, Maynard has to sing about something like anal fisting. Of course, you just took it at face value didn't you? "Haha yeah Maynard rules, fist f uckin g that's toatlly awesome yeah dude rock on!" You must have missed: "Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be, desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?" Very well put.
    definitely...*cheers!* and The patient is another good example...
    catchtherainbow
    foomandan wrote: i love the album but i think they should cut down on the long time of constant effects.
    yeah i agree on this also...but they just wants to create the mood...so if u wanna put it up in an mp3...might as well put the songs...rather than the ambience
    livewire76
    I think the change in Maynard lyrics is good. I read an interview snippet where he said (or was it Danny talking about the lyrics?) that he finds the things going on in the world around him in general crazy (see "Vicarious" for ex.) and had to get it off his chest as it were. Yes, they are different but then who wants the same thing over n over? Tool are not AC/DC, change is to be expected i think. Tool will always sound unique and, obviously, like Tool. Variation on the theme though is all good if you ask me. BTW isn't Stinkfist about how people in the WORLD today need to be shocked in order to gain their attention, not just Maynards audience?
    catchtherainbow
    livewire76 wrote: I think the change in Maynard lyrics is good. I read an interview snippet where he said (or was it Danny talking about the lyrics?) that he finds the things going on in the world around him in general crazy (see "Vicarious" for ex.) and had to get it off his chest as it were. Yes, they are different but then who wants the same thing over n over? Tool are not AC/DC, change is to be expected i think. Tool will always sound unique and, obviously, like Tool. Variation on the theme though is all good if you ask me. BTW isn't Stinkfist about how people in the WORLD today need to be shocked in order to gain their attention, not just Maynards audience?
    yeah...i definitely agree
    LaudanumGaze
    Nothing, I repeat, nothing will ever compare to Tool's Aenima. That being said. I dig a few of the songs alot. Some of the lyrics are a little lofty at times and if albums had smells this one would smell like purple. I'm always about some new Tool but let's face it, Tool is the tightest in their shorter hookier songs. We as fans have to follow our bands on whatever journey the band is on at the time, but if Tool keeps up with this ethereal airiness music, I'm gonna sit back and wait for APC's new album. Let's hope it's not another political mess.
    catchtherainbow
    LaudanumGaze wrote: Nothing, I repeat, nothing will ever compare to Tool's Aenima. That being said. I dig a few of the songs alot. Some of the lyrics are a little lofty at times and if albums had smells this one would smell like purple. I'm always about some new Tool but let's face it, Tool is the tightest in their shorter hookier songs. We as fans have to follow our bands on whatever journey the band is on at the time, but if Tool keeps up with this ethereal airiness music, I'm gonna sit back and wait for APC's new album. Let's hope it's not another political mess.
    [quote] definitely agree...APC's eMotive was damn bad...
    seany_ryan
    So wait if you miss spell something You have an opinion alternate to the rest An you dont play intruments so you dont know Then shut up becuase you are flamming on a board. Ahh yes I am pretentious. Im a douche. Alright friends. You win. Im out. Love you too. APC is only good for MJK TOOL is GOD And it isnt about the lyrics but the music behind it and what the idea and emotion was with creating. Because as fans you read interviews and listened enough times to know. Well I wrote a song in c#/em into Ab and its timed 6/9 and the title is Ramshackle Vibe off of my bands debute CD. whats its about?
    444648
    The band has the ability to play in two different beat signatures at once! There is not a single person out there who could argue that tool is not tallented.
    CoreysMonster
    of there are. its more a matter of taste. Some people hate that weird kind of playing. Other people, like me, adore it. Its just different, and its modern at the same time, not like taking King Crimson and doing the same thing over again. I hated the album at first, but after seeing them play live and listening to it a bit more, I realise how ingenious this album is. Tool FTW!