10,000 Days review by Tool

• Released: May 2, 2006
Tool: 10,000 Days

Even after waiting five years and the band having been around for sixteen years, these guys still got it as far as sound goes. Adam still has his heavy but not too heavy sound on his guitar amp settings and Justin Chancellor I think has the most distinctive tone out in the music industry among bassists. The immediate intro to Vicarious right at the beginning shows how Tool can repeat something over and over and still be able to make the listener wonder what's coming next. Right In Two was an interesting piece because of the reverby guitar sound and eerie overall feel of the song throughout.

01. Vicarious - good political message about stopping war and us people of the U.S. not doing anything but sit here on our asses writing reviews (which is okay). 02. Jambi - this is an island in the south-eastern pacific around Indonesia and I think this song is just about asking forgiveness from someone. 03. Wings For Marie - this song is about Maynards mom I think. I hope that's right. Judith Marie was someone who was paralyzed for like 17 years but it was about 10000 days hence the album title. 04. 10,000 Days - a longer epilogue to Wings For Marie. 05. The Pot - this song is about someone asking why there was almost as if it were a racial discrimination against stoners. This song has great lyrics. 06. Lipan Conjuring - a short little tribal chant. The Lipan were a group of Native Americans who lived something like 700 years ago in parts of Texas. 07. Lost Keys - this is just a short prologue to Rosetta Stoned about a guy who ended up in a hospital from taking to much dope. 08. Rosetta Stoned - easily the best lyrics on the whole album. How is talking about Krispy Kremes in heavy metal not funny? Easy 10/10. 09. Intension - for some reason, the title is fun to say. There are some techno sounds in this one that are not in anything else Tool has done. Intension is referring to the sum of all attributes in a logic equasion. 10. Right In Two - this tune is written basically from an angel's prospective looking down on and evaluating what the human race really is. 11. Viginty Tres - in Latin it means Twenty Three. Strange way to end an album. Not as good as Lateralus or Aenima.

I am not at all surprised that this album debuted at number 1 in a load of countries. It sold well over 500,000 copies in it's first week and it is quite easy to see why. Tool is basically the, what I call, caged brain of metal. They represent metal in a different fashion than usual but nobody ever seems to do anything like them at other times in their studios. This is and album anyone should buy if they think they really are a true music fan.