10,000 Days review by Tool

• Released: May 2, 2006
Tool: 10,000 Days

Tool's sound has always been a progressive/alt. rock/metal sound. Heavy downtuned chords by Adam Jones, running basslines by Justin Chancellor, the insane drumming of Danny Carey, and of course, the vocals of Maynard. There isn't too much of a story behind the album, but there are lyrical themes (which I'll explain later). This album goes is many directions. You get the usual hard-hitting aggressive tracks you would come to expect, stuff like "Vicarious" and "Jambi". You also get some more softer songs, such as "Wings for Marie" and Part 2, "10,000 Days", both an ode to his late mother. Adam Jones makes use of a talk box on the album, specifically in the solo for the song "Jambi", which is somewhat strange for Adam Jones, since he tends to stay away from both effects as well as solos. This album is Tool's most polished sounding record to date, as older efforts were good, but didn't sound like an "album", more like demo-quality mixing.

The title tracks (10,000 Days, which is part 2 of Wings for Marie0 are written about Maynard's late mother, who suffered a stroke that left her partially paralyzed and wheelchair-bound. The length of time between the paralysis and her death was 27 years, or approximately 10,000 days. The themes behind songs on this album range from his mother, hypocrites, and LSD. I really love Maynard's voice on this record, he has a really aggressive, passionate sound to his voice, which really deliver an amotional experience. Maynard is one of the best.

I personally think this is their best, but alas it's the album that really got me into Tool. The most impressive songs would probably be the first tow tracks "Vicarious" and "Jambi", as well as "Rosetta Stoned". I love the heavy style of some of the tracks, and the settled-down emotional, spaced out ones such as the title tracks(s). I really can't hate on this album. If completely lost from my library, I would probably go out and buy not only one copy, but another one for backup. Amazing album, one of the best in recent years.

areese82
    Another great tool album. Hope we don't have to wait 10,000 days for the next one.
    mosh_rocker2006
    How can people give an 8.3 rating on a review of this album...pretty sure it should be beyond a rating of 10.
    satyphan
    man you must have problems... just the wings duo song is enough to turn this cd into a classic... pay some attention to the lyrics and how they relate to the title from the album (and mostly MJK)... if that introspective side wasn't enough to fulfill the eager fans expectations, there are badass songs like vicarious, jambi or the pot... not to mention the great album production (better than any previous tool cd)... now tell me where this album fails
    BlakeWilde
    What the hell is with all the 9/10 reviews?? Are they really necessary?? This is by the Far the WORST of all TOOL albums. Only 1 review acknowledged this. Cut out about 25 of the reviews..They are repetitive and redundant. The 5/10 review is the only accurate one. Sure its a decent album but it has alot of crap and if its a 9/10 or 10/10 then what the hell were the other tool albums? This one would be a 5/10, with the other albums going up to 9/10 such as Undertow, Aenima and Lateralus, Id give 9/10, 8/10 and 9/10 respectively..but seriously man..if you guys think this is a GREAT Tool album you obviously haven't listened to the other stuff or you are just so devoted to the band you accept $hit like its Strawberry Shortcake.
    xXChimairaXx
    these guys will never grow old. seeing them live is one of the greatest experiences ever. the visuals and lights shooting all over the venue were just amazing.
    CLIFF_BURTON
    i remember going to best buy May 2nd to get this. That day changed my life. Always been a tool fan.
    Shread_6009
    HeavyMetal34 : then why the hell are you reading all the way down to here and commenting it if its boring crap?
    never said it was boring, i said theres alot of comments and it takes awhile to get down to the bottom, im saying i understand if u cant be bothered to read it, and u missed my point about tom morrello and adam jones doin an album, asswhole
    HeavyMetal34
    kyleblackflag
    i bought the album the day it came out it was most boring crap ever then it is the most boring crap ever now
    Shread_6009
    if anyone reads this far down, i just bought this album, best shit ever m,an. even people that dont listen to this kind of muic (asuming they have any good taste) admits these guys are amazing. amazing drumming, fast bass riffs. just throwing it out there, adam jones played in a band in highschool with tom morrello(Rage against the machine, Audioslave) anyone think it would be amazing if they did an album together in one of there bands?
    ScottyMal
    yeah i also bought 10,000 days on the day of release and have it playing in my car at the moment. great album.
    rebreh wrote: How do you make the ae in aenema. Tool rocks
    hold alt+0230
    highwayone73
    I've been listening to Tool since the early nineties. Opiate and Undertow formed the foundation of my musical tastes for the rest of my life. Is 10,000 Days is a departure? Of course it is, but as a band Tool wills themselves to change on every album. This isn't metallica selling it's soul on Load and Reload or Pink Floyd without Roger. Tool is the epitomy of a committed band, committed to growth personally, spiritually, and musically. So if you're expecting another Lateralus or nima or Undertow I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Desenova
    I think the one thing everyone has to realize that each Tool album has it's purpose within itself, whereas Lateralus was systematic in the extream and talked about 'spiralling out' 10,000 Days was a look inside ones self. Each song on this album has come off to me as very personal to the band, just read what is being said. The same goes for their previous albums, nima was about evolution and human growth and Undertow was about cleansing. One could even make the same argument for Opiate. All I'm saying is that the people disappointed in this album are the people who were expecting another Lateralus. They are the same people who want Metallica to do ANOTHER Master of Puppets-esque album, which to me goes against both of these wonderful bands original intent which is to be different and do what they want and not looking back on what was successful and what was not. I'll gladly wait another 5 years for the next Tool album, which coincidentally, from 10,000 Days' original release, is around 2012... =)
    TC1223
    for those of you who were dissappointed with this one, I'm with you.
    jamie_hough
    Lateralus was a 10/10 album, Im sure most of us will agree... Aenima was also a 9 or 10/10 album....10,000 days is CLEARLY in all respects not as good as either so it has to get an 8/10... not everything they touch is gold - but its pretty damn close! Hope they can turn it up a notch next time round as it will probably be their last - wouldnt want them to go out on a low... just maynard sems to have gotten so pretentious lately (not that he never was, i just feel it more now)... and hopefully he can put puscifer to rest, maybe that was what bought this album down a little...?