10,000 Days review by Tool

• Released: Apr 28, 2006
Tool: 10,000 Days

My impression of the band's sound and music is that I absolutely love them. I love Tool's blending of the old school progressive rock sound of the 60's and 70's like King Crimson, Rush, and Pink Floyd with modern alternative rock and metal like The Melvins, Alice in Chains, and Kyuss. The most impressive parts of Tool's music, to me, is Adam Jones' guitar tone and Justin Chancellor's bass tone. Maynard's unique voice and Danny's masterful drumming are great additions, as well. +Like every Tool album, the band spent a lot of time creating this one and waited a few years since the last one to release this one. That is something that I love about the band. They take the music seriously. They don't just spit out another album every year to meet some quota. The quality of the music shows the time they put into it. +The band stuck to their familiar style of not always playing the same thing. :p: Tool definitely tries out new stuff, while still maintaining their signature sound. Some new things they tried include Adam's talk box solo in Jambi and the more mellow, extremely personal epic of Wings and 10,000 Days. They also experimented with some more industrial sounds on Intension and Right in Two. +Something else worth sharing is that if you play 10, 000 Days at the same time as Wings for Marie and Viginti Tres, the music and lyrics sync up perfectly with each other. Makes one wonder if it was intentional or not.

The lyrics in this album are much more personal on Maynard's part than their other albums. The Wings/10,000 Days epic is extremely personal (it's about Maynard's mother). This album has some of Maynard's best lyrics in my opinion. +The lyrics comply with the music like they are another instrument for the band. That's always been a goal of the band and it always comes off that way to me. Maynard really does help the music along and vice versa. +As far as Maynard's singing skills, well, they are just Maynard. He has a unique voice that many modern rock singers have tried to emulate and show as an influence in their music. The fast talking of Rosetta Stoned is interesting and the high-pitched singing on The Pot was cool and was pulled off quite well.

I don't really want to compare it to any other albums. Although, I can say that sometimes with some bands that start out good, they can end up sounding pretty bad on their later albums. Sort of like a bad cover band of themselves. However, I find that this album did quite well for a later release. However, I must admit that this is my least favorite Tool album. Regardless, it is still great, but it does not compare to Lateralus and Aenima. +The most impressive songs on the album to me are Vicarious, Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two... Okay, that's almost all of them. But they are great songs. +What I love about the album is that they did not totally disappoint with their latest album. They have still kept me loving them and praising them as my favorite band. What I don't like is that the album doesn't seem to have as much actual songs in it as the others. Their fillers are just as much a part of their albums as the songs, but I just feel like there could have been more to it. +If I ever lost my copy or had it stolen from me, I would absolutely go out and buy another copy. I love this band and their music that much. As Maynard put it, "There's not enough words to describe what you feel when you hear a song." (I'm paraphrasing) They've been there for me when I was angry, sad, happy, and anything else and they've helped me grow up.

Skwisgaar S
    Tool was boring before but this album takes it to new levels. This album was almost entirely filler. What a waste of time