Aenima review by Tool

• Released: Sep 17, 1996
Tool: Aenima

The sound of Aenima is hard to describe any other way than epic. I was first introduced to Tool in 1999. I immediately gravitated towards their newest offering, Aenima. Put simply, their sound was like nothing I had heard before. The transition they make between loud and soft is unprecedented. Adam Jones is not a technical guitar player but manages to keep his playing very complex all the same. Its hard to describe. Look up the tabs.

The lyrics were also something I was not used to. They had depth. They didn't rhyme. They were not catchy nor were they easy to make out at times. Yet when you search for the lyrics, and you find them, you read them and they could have so many possible meanings. Not so with most artists I can think of. And what an artist Maynard is. Truly the best frontman in music ever - all whilst hardly spending any time in the front.

In my humble opinion, this album and Lateralus are equal in their dominion of my favorite recordings. 46 And 2, Eulogy, Hooker With A Penis, Pushit, Aenima and Third Eye stand slightly above the others in most people's opinions, but I strongly feel that there are no weak spots and no filler in this record. I love complexity and theory and these four men obviously share my passion. I have lost a couple of their albums and scratched several, and have continued buying new ones to replace them. I recommend this CD to everyone and I believe that it is the best Tool album to start with.