Aenima review by Tool

• Released: Sep 17, 1996
Tool: Aenima

This is the first Tool CD I heard. When I heard the song "Stinkfist" I was hooked. The bass of the song is awesome, the guitar riffs are great, the middle section rocks, and Maynard's vocals are, as usual, amazing. Also, the actual cover of the CD is 'animated'. If you move the CD up and down, the cover moves. There are 2 other pictures in the CD book that do this also. The actual disc shows a guy in a very awkward position. If you have the CD, you know! Anyway, this is the best Tool CD, and you should pick it up.

Maynard is my favorite singer (see my other Tool reviews). His vocals are the best on this record above the other Tool records, not to put the other ones down. "Eulogy" is the best song vocally. Hell, it's the best song on the CD musically too. But his vocals are what hooked me to the CD. They seem to be flowing from the music rather than singing over them. And his lyrics are the best lyrics in the '90s for sure, if not all time. "Hooker With A Penis" is the angriest song on the CD, and he screams like there's not tomorrow. Maynard is god.

This CD rules. My favorite songs are "Stinkfist," "Eulogy," "46&2," "Hooker With A Penis," "Jimmy" and "Third Eye." But the whole CD kicks ass. "Third Eye" starts out with a sample of comedian Bill Hicks saying "if you don't think drugs have done anything good, go home tonight and burn all your tapes, cds, and records... cuz all those bands that made that great music to enhance your lives over the years... really f--kin' high on drugs!" Then it goes into the 13+ minute masterpiece. The music, vocals, interludes, and overall packaging of the CD make it a must have for music fans.