Aenima review by Tool

• Released: Sep 17, 1996
Tool: Aenima

Tool creates a sound which is original and they have a tendency to paint pictures in the mind of the listener. Unlike their first two works Opiate and Undertow, Tool explores the concepts and artistic visions of progressive rock and combines it with that of heavy metal. Adam Jones makes a name for himself with his ludicrous yet tranquil guitar effects and his minimalistic arpeggio type riffs. Danny Carey, the only thought that comes to mind is holy f--k! The man has surpassed what everyone thought of as a great drummer and even challenges the skill of John Bonham. Justin's bass riffs compliment Adams guitar lines so well that you may think at times that you're hearing a second guitar. There is no question that he carries his own style and is the perfect person for the job. Maynard is a strong and sincere vocalist and he really is the mood setter for the entire album. This is quite evident with the tracks Pushit, Aenima, H., and Jimmy. The album is somewhat of a concept album so if you are an internet download fien, then you're missing out on half the buzz. The CD jacket in itself is a work of genius as well as the music itself. Tool really made an impact on my life and this album is my personal favorite. Whether you're a musician or just a fan of great music, this album has something for everybody.

For someone who isn't very familiar with Tool, Maynard may come off as a little strange which he is in every aspect but that is the reason why he is so beautiful. On a scale from 1 to 10 on singer skill I give him a perfect 10. The lyrics are very personal and introspective and they kinda hook you in and make you want to look deep into the band and their history. Tool doesn't print their lyrics in their CD jackets so you'll have to look them up online. Maynards voice is like an extra instrument and fits perfectly with the band. The song "Stinkfist" has very confusing lyrics that hint at addiction but if you read in closely then a different picture comes to mind. Eulogy is just that, a eulogy. Danny Carey has said that it is about L. Ron Hubbard but I think it is comparing L. Ron Hubbard to Jesus and the concept of being a martyr. Pushit is my favorite track and is about an abusive relationship. The instrumentation in that track is absolutley amazing and gives me chills every time I listen to it. The title track is a song that bears a relationship to a skit by Bill Hicks' Arizona Bay talking about armageddon and LA falling into the Pacific Ocean. The bottom line is that the lyrics aren't for the faint of heart but they are a true form of expression and creativity at it's best.

Aenima can't be compared to any album in existence today. Their sound is far to unique and far to diverse to compared to anything of todays standards. Copycat bands can try and try and try but they will never come close. The most impressive songs on the album are Pushit, Third Eye, H., and Eulogy. All of which bear a kind of Godly quality and are nothing short of brilliant. The only problem I have with this album are the unneccesary tracks like (-)ions and Cesaro Summability. If you listen to the album from beginning to end in one session then it goes well but by themselves they just seem pointless. Everything else is flawless. If it were stolen I would buy it again for sure, it is a piece of the soundtrack to my life!