Lateralus review by Tool

• Released: May 14, 2001
Tool: Lateralus

I think Tool's sound is very unique among other alternative rock bands. What I really think is that Tool's music is kind of a collaboration of all types of rock mixed with Danny Carey's complex drumming, Maynard James Keenan's incomparable voice, Justin Chancellor's fierce bass playing, and Adam Jones' synthesia-induced guitar skills. I find it strange but interesting that supposedly the members of Tool use their mathematical knowledge by blending it into their music.

I think when someone asks Maynard, "What do these lyrics mean?" that Maynard tries to explain that his lyrics are a test with which your look at your interpretation of them. I can tell Maynard is a very intelligent person, because he uses words that you would never hear in a rap song, such as "juxtaposed" and song titles such as "Schism," "Parabola," and "Mantra." Maynard's voice is very hypnotizing and mesmerizing. I think Billy Howerdel make a good choice to choose Maynard as the vocalist for A Perfect Circle.

Lateralus isn't like any other rock album I own. I can't say which song is the most impressive because they are all so meaningful and worth listening to. I like "Parabola" the most because the beginning coming out of "Parabol" is so loud and in-your-face. The thing I like about it is that Tool's music will actually make you listen and think about the songs' meanings. I've never heard such an intelligent reflection of personalities into music before. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't find the right order in which it is supposed to create a 70-minute-long song. I would definitely buy it again, and I think everyone should.