Lateralus review by Tool

• Released: May 14, 2001
Tool: Lateralus

Tool always stood out to me as a modern day Pink Floyd type band. But since music has gotten way heavier over the years Tool is heavy too. But the reason they appear to be a modern day Pink Floyd to me is because they are so epic, creative, and artsy with their music. Their songs are mostly long which is good because you get more out of the whole experience. I mean short and sweet is good, but sometimes if you can make it long and good and still maintain to grab the listeners attention then do it. Tool manages to stay a hard rock band but still be progressive.

I love Maynards voice. Period. The drummer and him are alone a good reason to buy this album. I love the lyrics as well. Deep stuff. Its like swinging down a spiral. Mezmerizing and breathtaking. Plain and simple.

The bottom line is if you want an epic hard rock album that you can also kick back and chill to get this. Because you get both. You get the hard rock (The Grudge, Parabla), you get the epic songs (Schism, Lateralus), and you get the laid back (Disposition, Reflection). And the others are eerie interludes and my personal favorite track-The Patient. Great song. That song itself is worth 10 bucks. If I lost it, not only would I buy it again I would buy all the other Tool albums too.