Lateralus review by Tool

• Released: May 14, 2001
Tool: Lateralus

One of the best things about Tool is that every album has a different sound to it. This is their latest (but not for long) and it sounds amazing! Adam and Justin work amazingly well together and they both have a wide range of musical talent. They are masters of their instruments and their effects and they really make the songs sound good. Of course Danny is a beast on his 3 million piece drumset, and Maynard's voice is beautiful beyond description. The best part of this album is the range of tones of the songs. Some (such as The Grudge, Ticks and Leeches, Lateralus, and Triad) are heavier and are pretty fun to headbang to. Others (like Eon Blue Apacolypse, Parabol, and Disposition) are soft and hauntingly beautiful. Everything works.

I know the lyrics are supposed to be sort of transcendent but, they don't work quite as well for me. For example, what does "Clutch it like a cornerstone" mean? The weird lyrics don't bother me too much, and certainly don't take away from the experience of the album, but I just think they could have been a bit more meaningful. Whatever, Maynard still does an amazing job singing them.

Overall I think this may be their best album, and I can't wait for the next one to come out!