Lateralus review by Tool

• Released: May 14, 2001
Tool: Lateralus

Wow. I'm pretty speachless. This sounds like nothing that emerged at the same time as it. I listened to it the whole way through, and then again before it would sink in. Every song is near-perfect (except maybe Mantra), full of Tool's trademark odd-time polyrythms, and an ethereal quality I've never heard before.

I'll just come out and say it, Maynard James Keenan is the best singer and lyric writer of the modern day. The lyrics on this album deal with transcendence and other spiritual things. Keenan's switches effortlessly between a high pitched croon and a bark efforlessly.

This my favourite album, and it's best songs are The Grudge, Parabola and Lateralus, but all the songs are great, except the ambient track mantra, which only makes sense after taking LSD. Even the sleeve kicks ass. I found the word "God" hidden in the brain of the final page. If I lost this I would definitely buy it again. If it was stolen, I would congratulate the person on making such a fine choice, before tearing their throat off.