Lateralus review by Tool

• Released: May 14, 2001
Tool: Lateralus

Before listening to the band Tool I was mostly into the new rock and just heavy metal, never realy thought I changed. When I first heard this CD, right then I knew this was the best album I have ever listened to. From the Grudge to Faaip De Oid it's all amazing. Truely Tool has there own unique sound that cannot be touched by anyone. They are their own brand of music, and people realise this and so they will buy their cd's and learn. Danney Carrey is truely, as said before, in a league of his own. There is no true conventional drumming here. The most irregular beats I have ever heard but yet it sounds so natural and it keeps me listening. Justin Chancelar is one of the more skilled bassists I know. He may not be the best in the world but for what does it fits so perfectly that no one else could do what he does. Adam Jones, again not the best guitarist in the world but his mind let's him make some of the craziesy alternitive prog riffs you will ever hear in your life. A good example in schism, so odd but yet listening to it, it feel so natural and good. Then there is Maynard James Keenan. One of the most emotional singers and songwriters ever. His lyrics, even though hard to understand and vailed in metophores and experiences, will make you think and you will have a journey in yourself. he brings everything to the table and uses his voice as if it were the only thing he knew how to do.

The lyrics on the album truely make you think. The whole album itself is one big journey, a story rather. Laying on a bed and listening to this CD many times, ever time I get something new from it. For everyone songs comes "perfect" lyrics. Maynard's lyrics go in flawlessly with the music. He can go from his violent screams, his soft melodies, to his melodic verses, it all seems to fit no matter what. There is nothing out of placed when it comes to how he sings and the meaning of the lyrics with the songs.

Lateralus was the first Tool CD that I had listened to and I must say I am glad for it. To me this is my favorite Tool CD and also my favorite CD of all time in general. I couldn't comapare this CD to antyhing else out there or anything else that was out there. This CD holds it's place in time along with the other Tool CDs. You can't deny this ALbum is purley kick-ass. Songs like The Grudge, Ticks and Leeches, Lateralus are songs that will just make you sit there in aww and wonder to yourself what did I just listen to. This pure evilness to them, but yet such innoscence, it makes you keep listening and learning. I must say I cannot find anything wrong with this Album, everthign on here is perfect. Even the ambient noises are completely tolerable and actually necassary, without them it wouldn't be Lateralus. I would suggest this as a must-have for anyone. If you listen to music then you must have this and listen to it.

Reflection ftw. Love this album, one of tool's greatest.
    Hash4you
    for the love of god, they are not metal. They're heavy as hell, but they can still be rock, don't try to group tool with metal all the time. They don't even consider themselves metal. Anyways, ranting aside, this is one of my favorite albums. IMO its tied with Aenima.
    al_bourque
    hard to explain wrote: lateralus is THE best live song ever
    Aenima is amazing live too, I think I like it just as much if not more. When I saw them play they played Lateralus as the closer before the encore. Then Aenima as the final song, which I expected, either way they were both electric.