Lateralus review by Tool

• Released: May 14, 2001
Tool: Lateralus

Tool is one of the most unique bands I have ever heard. Lateralus is their third album, and I think it's their strongest. It has their typical seven-minute long songs, but this album sounds more mature from their last two. Guitar, bass and drums are amazing on this record, expecially on the titles song "Lateralus". The artwork inside this album is insane; it's transparent with a body, and as the pages are turned, the layers of the body are revealed. I've never seen anything like it before.

The lyrics on this album are very deep, and the singing is phenomenal. Maynard James Keenan is a genius with his lyrics, and it shows on this record. One song in particular that is very suttle, but strong both in lyrics and in music is the song "Reflection". His voice is very cohesive with the music, which adds to the greatness of this album.

I think that Lateralus is probably one of the best records I have ever purchased. My favorite song by Tool is on this record (The Patient). It doesn't sound too much like their older two records, and it has more depth to it. The album starts off striong with the song "The Grudge", and ends off amazingly with "Faaip De Oiad". I would recommend this album to anyone who is interested in listening to something out of the ordinary.

mcyrus10
    tool is easily one of the greatest rock bands of all time, adam jones, justin chancellor, manyard, and danny are all geniuses with perfect music
    roarinflames
    definetly one of the greatest albums of all time and also that review that talks about the kabala. that dude went way too much into depth. the band went really deep with this album, but not that deep. i went a month studying this album, and the kabala is only remotely related with this album. and even then its most likely coincidence.
    marssox
    seriously the best album of all time in any genre EVER they perfect perfection in this from dannys melodies, to the chills up ur spine "let gooooo" screamed out during the grudge and then to top it off it has lateralus which just makes everything in life makes sense truly something amazing by an amazing band