Opiate review by Tool

• Released: Mar 10, 1992
Tool: Opiate

This cd is the rawest, heaviest Tool cd. The recording sounds raw and low-budget, but that adds to the heaviness of the album as a whole. The riffs and vocals are the heaviest thing Tool has recorded to date. This is in a way my favorite Tool cd simply because it is their heaviest. I bought this cd without hearing a single track and it was well worth it. For having only 6 songs, this is still one of my favorite cds out of my collection (of over 300 if that says anything). Buy this cd, whether you are a Tool fan or not. This cd will change your perspective of Tool. And like the previous review mentioned, you can hear the roots of the future Tool in this excellent EP.

Maynard James Keenan. Need I say more? Well, I will. These lyrics are definetely Maynard's angriest. They talk about killing people, his hatred (or perhaps mistrust?) of God, and censorship, among other things. Maynard is my favorite frontman of all time, not just because of his genius lyrics, but also his vocals. The lyrics on the hidden track ("Gaping Lotus Experience") are great. (I had a friend once - he took some acid - now he thinks he is a fire engine...) Maynard never ceases to amaze me.

My favorite track on this album is "Hush", although they are all kick ass. I love this album overall for just being raw and the Tool guys just get out and kick it. The double live songs ("Cold & Ugly" and "Jerk-off") show the rawness of Tool on stage. Also, the sound is actually better since it wasn't recorded in the highest class studio. It adds to the heaviness and metal attitude of the album. If you are a fan of heavy music, buy this cd. Regardless of what you think you know about Tool, buy this cd. It is well worth the $10 you will pay. You might even get it for cheaper than that.

toolfan_121
    I like the title track. It's saying religion is the opiate for the masses, and people follow it blindy, hence "Jesus Christ won't you come save my life? Open my eyes, blind me with your light." Truer words have never been spoken.
    thechangling
    holy **** all this talk about the sound being bad it kicks ass you can't hear the bass then you're deaf if you can't hear the drums then your stupid, why should you buy this if you have at least 2 tool albums thats so stupid to say you should by this cause every tool album kicks ass
    Ingsoc
    It wasn't a bad place to start for Tool, but from a present day standpoint it is obviously their weakest stuff by far. Most of the songs are lyrically weak for Maynard. Cold and Ugly has an amazing riff but Maynard filled it with fairly uninteresting and repetetive lyrics. Opiate + Gaping Lotus Experience is kinda cool, and Hush isn't bad, but this is definately indicative of Tool trying to find themselves in this album.
    al_bourque
    I don't think the lyrics are overly weak. It's nice to see Maynard get the point across without beating around the bush so much like in the later stuff. While long poetic works can be beautiful its good sometimes to hear someone straight-up confront the issues on their mind. Actually, for a first CD for a bunch of guys basically jamming, it pretty much dominates. I don't even think they were really a "band" at this point. I think I read somewhere that the two live tracks were one of the first shows they ever played (New Year's Eve 1991 maybe).
    montressor
    the song part of me is my favorite... it is the most personal track i guess... sweat also mentioned the lyrics "a dream within a dream" which is one of edgar allan poe's works.. hope maynard love poe coz i do..
    montressor
    COLD And ugly and jerk off proves that even early on tool is a kickass band live!!!! maynard's voice was so angry and powerful.....