Opiate review by Tool

• Released: Mar 10, 1992
Tool: Opiate

The sound on this album is the most inspirational thing I have ever heard. It has good tone quality. The songs are heavy, and they question authory and think for themselves. It is a true Tool album, and it was their first album (EP rather). The drums are more steady than Danny's other stuff, but are still great. Adam's guitar work is aggressive, and has a lot of good bite. Paul D' Amour's bass tone is really heavy, and sounds moreso like the bass tone on 10,000 Days, but more vintage. Maynard's voice and lyrics are beautiful, and powerful.

The lyrics are very Bill Hicks inspired I believe. The title track questions religion, showing that Tool stands up for their beliefs. The song "Hush" is also a very good free speech example. It focuses on the PMRC and censorship. "Jerk Off" shows a lot of anger, and is a good tune to listen to when pissed. All of the lyrics on this album are very thought out and effective. All the melodies and compliance is great. Maynard uses his dynamic voice and some screaming for this album, it's a must-hear for any Tool fan.

This is my second favorite Tool album, it's also their heaviest! It's more gritty and raw, and has good power. The most impressive songs, IMO, are "Opiate", "Cold and Ugly", and "Part of Me." I love the heaviesness and raw power in this album. The only thing I don't like about it is, it's kinda short. I understand why though, and it really helps the albums quality to be EP. If my copy was stolen, I'd definately get another. it's kinda hard to find, but it's a must have.