Opiate review by Tool

• Released: Mar 10, 1992
Tool: Opiate

Despite being Tool's first release, Opiate, a six-song EP relesed in 1992 is one of the best Tool albums to date. Their sound is much more raw and outgoing their more recent material. This album is the perfect example of their heavy, dark, yet at the same time energetic and melodical sound. They have been classified as metal, yet they seem to be in between genres. The album features two live songs which sound amazing. If it weren't for the sound of the crowd and Maynard James Keenan's between song outbursts, you'd never guess they were the live songs on the album.

The lyrics on this album range are very dark and angry (espically on "Jerk-Off and "Hush") and Keenan seems to throw his ideas out with rekless abandon, resulting in his lyrical style which is very recognizable. His seemingly rage-filled lyrics work well with the powerfull, heavy sound of the music. In terms of vocals, Keenan delivers a strong perfromance with nothing held back. He can scream, but his singing is right on and his voice fits with Tool's style perfectly.

Tool doesn't really compare to many other artists. There is only one Tool and this album is incredible. Although it is only six songs long, it defines the band's sound and is the perfect introductery album to Tool. Although there wasn't a song on the album I didn't like, my personal favourites are probably "Hush" and "Cold And Ugly". If it were stolen or lost, I would by two new copies.

FlapJack85
    Jerk-Off is the best song on this album in my opinion. Hush also is a good song but lacks lyrical creativatey. Sweat has the best lyrics on the album.