Parabola [DVD] review by Tool

• Released: Dec 20, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
Tool: Parabola [DVD]

The sound of this video can be summed up by saying "Tool". It has all the elements that go into every Tool song and album: darkness, sweeping, whispering vocals, strange background samples, a booming bass end, and the impression that there's something interesting and mysterious tucked into every corner and behind every tree, rock, bush and crate. As usual, this video tells a story. What the story is about is entirely subjective and up for debate, as Tool rarely tells anyone what went through their heads when they made it. The one thing I can say for sure is that it brings up some very intersting thoughts and ideas; for example the base phrase of the entire song: "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion". This could be interpreted in many ways, perhaps connecting to one part of Third Eye, which says "we are all one consciousness experiencing itelf subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves". Or it could mean that when we die we go to some sort of heaven or higher state, and realize that it was all an illusion. Anyhow, this video is one of the cooler and better put-together I've ever seen.

Content — 9
The DVD has 3 parts: the original Parabola music video, the remixed version, and the Commentary. It is not a Live DVD or a best of, simply a music video collection. I am very satisfied with the song list, I was expecting it only to be Parabola, but instead I got two extras. There's no extra stuff that I can find, but there's probably something in there somewhere. And you could say that the entire song is an enigma waiting to be solved.

Production Quality — 8
The production quality is very good, there are no flaws, the volume is a little low, but I blame that on my DVD drive. Everything comes out really soft. This one is considerably louder than some of my full-length movie DVDs. I don't know of the Tech used, it's not a Dual-Layer or HDDVD or Blu-ray or anything, so there's nothing cutting-edge.

It is impossible to compare Tool to any other artist. They are one-of-a-kind in every way. I'd say that the most impressive thing here is the video itself, as there's some of the best 3D animation I've ever seen. You'll think that the weird guys in the beginning and the cute little mask-faced guy in the middle were real. (Thank god the former isn't real). Anyhow all the videos are well made and very deep. I love the Videos in general, but the Remixed version seems to have lost something. If it were stolen, I'd just go buy another one. At four bucks, it's not like I really lost anything. In all, this DVD is a steal for the depth of coolness and surrealness that you get. I give huge props to Tool and their producers for making such a sweet thing.

elusivEuphoria
    I disagree, i felt the remixes were what gave me my money's worth. The videos are obviously outstanding, the commentaries are hilarious, and yeah... like i said, you get 2 Tool remixes that together run over 30 minutes and are just as much an experience as any other Tool song. A+ in my book.
    rockingleper
    i bought the dvd and have yet to find the two remixes everyone is talking about, can anybody tell me where to find them?
    jp_cheif
    If Maynard is God....Adam is Jesus, Danny the arcangel, and Justin...well Justin...(great guy tho), and i will worship all of them