Parabola [DVD] Review

artist: Tool date: 02/19/2007 category: compact discs
Tool: Parabola [DVD]
Release Date: Dec 20, 2005
The second of two Tool DVD singles issued in 2005 finds the group's guitarist/video director Adam Jones presenting another riveting short film, this time relying more on CGI animation than he has in the past to do the storytelling. "Parabola" was one of the more dramatic and engaging tracks on Lateralus and the video only helps to accentuate this notion tenfold.
 Content: 8.5
 Production Quality: 9
Parabola [DVD] Reviewed by: 444648, on august 03, 2006

Sound: Tool has a sound that can not be compared to anyone (or anything.) When you hear a singer, you normally know what band they are from, but when you hear any member of Tool you already know what your listening to. Justin Chancellor, and D'Amor before Aenema, have such unique bass tones and styles that you can't imagine them in any other band. Danny Carey's drumming style is enough to give away a tool song. Maynards unique voice, and Adam Jones' guitar style and tone is a dead giveaway of what you're listening to. Justin Chancellors almost exclusive use of a pick on his bass guitar gives him a tone like no one else, and the imaginative use of the deep bass sounds for a melody and guitar being used as rythm is definetely a contribution to tools unique sound. Adam Jones' guitar in a bass amp trick gives him the most unique tone, ever! By running his Les Paul Custom Silverburt through a 1976 Marshall Bass non-master volume amp head he gets a tone that "doesn't come out of left field, but it comes out of some field I'd never heard of" in the words of Jello Biafra. Danny Carey's mixture of real drums and Mandala Electronic Drum Heads gives hime a unique sound for playing in the off the wall beat signatures that Tool uses so often. And Maynards multi-layered meanings with his lyrics, and overall just amazing voice tops the whole thing off. // 10

Overall Impression: By far the most impressive thing about this video is that you can watch it over and over and get a different message every time, sometimes music videos are so straight-forward that you always feel the same after you watch them, but Tool mixed plot with abstract genius and ended up with a video with emotions as variable as the song alone. There is really nothing here to dislike it is amazing and well worth the ten dollars. // 10

Parabola [DVD] Reviewed by: Kid Fisto, on february 19, 2007

Sound: The sound of this video can be summed up by saying "Tool". It has all the elements that go into every Tool song and album: darkness, sweeping, whispering vocals, strange background samples, a booming bass end, and the impression that there's something interesting and mysterious tucked into every corner and behind every tree, rock, bush and crate. As usual, this video tells a story. What the story is about is entirely subjective and up for debate, as Tool rarely tells anyone what went through their heads when they made it. The one thing I can say for sure is that it brings up some very intersting thoughts and ideas; for example the base phrase of the entire song: "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion". This could be interpreted in many ways, perhaps connecting to one part of Third Eye, which says "we are all one consciousness experiencing itelf subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves". Or it could mean that when we die we go to some sort of heaven or higher state, and realize that it was all an illusion. Anyhow, this video is one of the cooler and better put-together I've ever seen. // 10

Overall Impression: It is impossible to compare Tool to any other artist. They are one-of-a-kind in every way. I'd say that the most impressive thing here is the video itself, as there's some of the best 3D animation I've ever seen. You'll think that the weird guys in the beginning and the cute little mask-faced guy in the middle were real. (Thank god the former isn't real). Anyhow all the videos are well made and very deep. I love the Videos in general, but the Remixed version seems to have lost something. If it were stolen, I'd just go buy another one. At four bucks, it's not like I really lost anything. In all, this DVD is a steal for the depth of coolness and surrealness that you get. I give huge props to Tool and their producers for making such a sweet thing. // 10