The Problem Of Pain: Part 1 review by Torman Maxt

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Torman Maxt: The Problem Of Pain: Part 1

The Problem Of Pain Part One is a progressive metal opera written by Torman Maxt. Its main story is that of Job from the Bible's Old Testament, detailing (in a musical way) his struggle to remain faithful while he was tested by God and Satan. I was surprised when I first began listening to this CD as the Overture began, the songwriting style for this album is a bit different from what I had listened to before (but someone who is already a fan of Torman Maxt should find no problem here). It was definitely a fresh sound and was enjoyable to listen to.

The lyrics for this album were predictable (already knowing the story does that) yet were still original sounding. In the main songs the lyrics managed to convey the points of the story of Job without sounding overused or dull. However the interval songs such as Angel's First Song and Satan's First Song seemed a bit unnecessary. Repetition of the word holy in the Angel's songs reached the point of outright annoying towards the end of the album. Other than those the lyrics were overall rather well written.

It matches up fairly well with other artists in the genre. Keeping to it's main themes of Christianity with more shred like guitar work and song structuring. Probably the most impressive songs are the intro and outro, both featuring excellent structuring and great guitar playing. I could've done without a couple songs on this album (namely the Angel's and Satan's songs) but otherwise it's a good CD I would recommend to anyone interested in the artist/genre. If someone stole it I probably wouldn't run out to buy a replacement but that's not to say that you wouldn't want to.