The Problem Of Pain: Part 1 Review

artist: Torman Maxt date: 01/05/2008 category: compact discs
Torman Maxt: The Problem Of Pain: Part 1
Release Date: 2007
Genres: Prog Metal
The Problem Of Pain: Part 1 is the first of a two album set. It is a rock opera based upon the book of Job from the Old Testament that investigates why God allows evil and human suffering on earth.
 8.9
 8.7
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
The Problem Of Pain: Part 1 Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 10, 2007

Sound: The Problem Of Pain Part One is a progressive metal opera written by Torman Maxt. Its main story is that of Job from the Bible's Old Testament, detailing (in a musical way) his struggle to remain faithful while he was tested by God and Satan. I was surprised when I first began listening to this CD as the Overture began, the songwriting style for this album is a bit different from what I had listened to before (but someone who is already a fan of Torman Maxt should find no problem here). It was definitely a fresh sound and was enjoyable to listen to. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album were predictable (already knowing the story does that) yet were still original sounding. In the main songs the lyrics managed to convey the points of the story of Job without sounding overused or dull. However the interval songs such as Angel's First Song and Satan's First Song seemed a bit unnecessary. Repetition of the word holy in the Angel's songs reached the point of outright annoying towards the end of the album. Other than those the lyrics were overall rather well written. // 8

Overall Impression: It matches up fairly well with other artists in the genre. Keeping to it's main themes of Christianity with more shred like guitar work and song structuring. Probably the most impressive songs are the intro and outro, both featuring excellent structuring and great guitar playing. I could've done without a couple songs on this album (namely the Angel's and Satan's songs) but otherwise it's a good CD I would recommend to anyone interested in the artist/genre. If someone stole it I probably wouldn't run out to buy a replacement but that's not to say that you wouldn't want to. // 9

The Problem Of Pain: Part 1 Reviewed by: Promothus, on january 05, 2008

Sound: Job's first song beginning sound was brilliant. It wasn't something I was expecting, but it was truely amazing. Think of it this way, if you have listened to 2112 and The Fountain of Lamneth of Rush, this will bring you back to those times. The sound will make you think of Rush in a way, sound wise. This is a Progressive Metal album, though not necessarily heavy metal. This is a different type of metal, that isn't thrashing and playing the same notes over and over again and having useless screams. // 9

Lyrics: When you listen to the lyrics, you can tell it was put to together very nicely. It gives you the sense that they aren't trying to make words fit together or just adding in any random phrase. The music and the lyrics fit together. For example, Job's First Song. It's the beginning song describing 'Job', and the lyrics fit with the music. If you look at the Fountain of Lamneth, it was the same with the beginning song, describing a main character with a great sound with a perfect transition. // 8

Overall Impression: It's hard to compare something that seems so new, and so fresh, and so different to some other album or some other artist. You can't just compare a brilliantly made album. Job's First SOng and Job's Resolve is probably my most favorite songs from the album, and I continue to listen to them. I love the fact these guys wanted to try something different, and they achieved a great sound. As they promoted their album to me, I was sort of skeptical at first, but when I heard Job's First Song on their myspace profile, I needed their album, so they gave me the link to download their album. When I have a chance, I'll officially buy the album. And I know, that if I lose it, I'll buy it again! // 9

Comments