Blood Sweat & Towers Review

Towers of London: Blood Sweat & Towers
Release Date: Aug 1, 2006
Label: TVT
Genres: Punk-Pop, Hard Rock
Since there ain't much big dumb rock & roll in 2006, anybody raised on one of the bands Towers of London emulate will find some of Blood Sweat & Towers fleeting fun.
 8.8
 8.7
 8.9
Blood Sweat & Towers Reviewed by: 2xDead, on october 20, 2006

Sound: This is the majot debut of Towers of London and lets just say it's here to please. This CD will kick you in the face, pick you back up, and do it again and again. You can feel the attitude in every song and every song's different feel. 01. I'm A Rat - starts the CD off right with blarring sirens followed by a snarling guitar riff. With a catchy chorus it'll be stuck in your head for hours "I'm a rat. I'm a rat. I'm a rat. I'm a rat." 02. Air Guitar - the first single off the album. With guitar like Last Caress by the Misfits it is easily one of the most likeable songs. 03. Kill The Pop Scene - has punk written all over it and any punk rocker would love it. Great riffs, another catchy chorus, and a sleazy solo, this song is easily my personal favorite. 04. Beaujolais - the usual punk song with some nice guitar licks. Another one of my favorites. 05. Fuck It Up (acoustic) - nothing really speical. Very western feel. Kind of repetitive. 06. King - starts out with orchestra followed by acoustic chords. The intro is a big change from the beginning four tracks. It gets better towards the middle of the first verse and bust out with blarring guitar. Really grows on you. 07. Good Times - another one of my personal favorites. Starts out with great punk guitar with some great fills here and there. Good break-downs and once again another catchy chorus. 08. On A Noose - this was the first song I heard by Towers Of London and this is the song that made me want to buy their album. A little repetitve but very, very catchy. "Rock 'n' roll, she is my creator." 09. Start Believing - nothing speical. A good, solid song. 10. Nothern Lights - another acoustic intro song, but better. Excellent break down and guitar solo. Everything fits together perfectly. 11. I Lose It - a Sex Pistols sounding bash of punk and classic rock. A decent song. 12. Fuck It Up - this version (the original) is way better, in my opinion, then the acoustic. The electric guitar just fit the attitude a lot more. 13. How Rude She Was - this song has the most guitar action of any other song on the album. What I mean by action is about two minutes into the song theres a constant guitar solo going on in the background. An all around great song. 14. Son Of A Preacher - fast, in your face punk rock. Another catchy song you will sing for hours. 15. Seen It All - this is another Sex Pistols sounding song. The intro guitar lick and lyrics really give it attitude. "I'm goin' give you a heart attack, goin' stab you in the back." What more could you ask for? // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are what really kick this record off. They're striaght up and in your face with the occasional "I don't give a f--k!" I was kind of disapointed when I got the CD though because some of the songs were not listed with lyrics. A big disapointment for me because the first thing I do when I get a CD is read the lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: Punk rock. Classic rock. Rock. Call it what you will but this is a CD for all to enjoy. With great guitar riffs, pounding drums, and in your face lyrics you won't be able to put this record down. A buy for anyone with a passion for punk rock. Whether you listen to the Sex Pistols or The Ramones you will love this album. The only disapointment was the repetitiveness of some songs. They're all great sure, but anyone could play the same notes over and over and sing the same lyrics over and over. If I lost this album I would definetly buy it again. Hell I'd buy it if one song didn't work. This is by far one of the best albums I've heard in a while. Even if you've never heard punk rock before, this is an excellent album to start listening to punk. // 10

Blood Sweat & Towers Reviewed by: ajmoore21, on january 07, 2008

Sound: Towers Of London really suprised me with this record, having been out and brought other punk records I thought this would be a bog standard wannabe group who have basically copied the pistols or the clash. But on 1st listen I was amazed at the depth the music had with 2 guitarists instead of one Towers mix rythem and lead very well. I thought the music itself was better than that of someone like The Pistols, granted the pistols didn't have the same amount of recording equipment available at the time, but even so I was pleased to find a more competent rythem section backing an amazing lead player. Onto the lead playing, lead guitarist The Rev isn't well known but he plays some very good stuff on this record, I'm a Rat has some good lead lines and a very catchy intro riff. His playing is at times quite bluesey and I know he's no where near Slash's league but he goes some way to playing licks like him and it has a good sound to it. One bad thing is the lack of variation in the record, F--k It Up (acoustic version) aside the band play non-stop power chord riffs when I've got to say they could play more complex stuff as they sound like they have a lot of musical talent in the band. This does little to drag down the good points to the record and I think the band could go on to be a very succesful band. // 8

Lyrics: Donny Torrete. A strange man I thought at first when seeing him on Never Mind the Buzzcocks but on the record he lyrically impressed me, ok the lyrics are simple but they are very catchy. Take Beaujolais for example the words just fit into place so well and you'll be singing along in no time. The only downside is some of his antics off stage, getting into fights on camera for people critising the band. I know this is part of the rock n' roll lifestyle but not with every person that dares to criticise. All in all I think he's the right man for the band and certainally doesn't lack ambition. // 7

Overall Impression: Blood Sweat and Towers doesn't really compare to much I've heard it's not quite full on Punk like the Pistols but the simplicity and Donny's Sneering vocals go some way towards it, on the other hand it's more old fashioned rock n' roll each song having a main riff, chorus and solo to make it sound suprisingly good. The most impressive songs are I'm a Rat which is a fluent rolling song which gives you a feel for the rest of the record, Beaujalais because it's catchy and simplicity at it's best and How rude she was becuase it probably has the best rhythm and lead sections on the album. Why do I love this record? Beacause it stands out as different from the current scene which bands like MCR and 30 seconds to Mars are dominating. Why do I hate this record? Because it's a bit too radio friendly with the exeption of F--k It Up of course, there's no real ranting and raving which a self confessed "Punk" band should have. All in all I wouldn't pause to recommend this album to anyone who swants to hear someting different and exciting. // 8

Comments