World Circus Review

9.4
 9.8
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
World Circus Reviewed by: sundayman78, on december 22, 2009

Sound: Toxik's World Circus left me stunned and amazed I immediately had to listen to it again and again until I finally realized that this was definitely my new favorite thrash band, yeah that's right, many other bands come to mind that can lead to the disbelief of this conclusion but ladies and gents I'd like to welcome you now to the show. The band's sound can be described as a more technical version of Anthrax with intense falsetto vocals that surpasses the famous shrieks of even one of metal's greatest singers, Rob Halford. The band's origin began in 1985 in Peekskill, New York and after some line-up changes the band was composed of Josh Christian on guitar, Mike Sanders on vocals, Brian Bonini on bass, and Tad Leger on drums. 1987 would be the year that World Circus would be released under the label of RoadRacer Records, currently Roadrunner Records, and it would be voted CMJ's Best New Metal Album of 1987. Toxik was on the cusp of mainstream stardom, but somehow never achieved it because of the changing music industry and still to this day they remain underrated and almost unheard of. // 9

Lyrics: All the tracks on this album has its own great little story and the majority of them tie into the main concept of the album which is the terrible nature of politicians and leaders of the world. From a lyrical standpoint it's absolutely superb and is as great if not better than Megadeth's titan, Peace Sells...but who's Buying. Both albums also share the same illustrator Ed Repka, the creator of the classic Peace Sells album cover. The lyrics are executed perfectly alongside the raw energy and technical power of the music not to mention the complex earsplitting solos. The singer's only drawback revealed in the album was vocal range. He could pull off amazingly high notes, but that was the only thing that was demonstrated. The thing is though, I can't imagine this album with different vocals and I'm not complaining; there is virtually no flaw in this album to the ears of a metal fanatic. Although in the time of its release some fans did have a problem with the piercing intensity of the vocals nonetheless it was greatly received by others. // 9

Overall Impression: It may seem hard to believe, but every song has something special and the thing is that people have different favorites. My personal favorites have to be the album's opener Heart Attack, Door to Hell which is the gruesome truth of some wars, and the short two minute and twenty second False Prophets. I absolutely love this album and the only thing that may annoy some people is that the lyrics for Heart Attack and small pieces of other songs aren't included in the booklet or in the internet that I'm aware of. If it were stolen or lost I'd be really angry and I'd probably end up buying two copies instead of one. As Malcolm Dome once hailed Helloween they are "true messiahs". // 9

Comments