American Man: Greatest Hits Volume II review by Trace Adkins

• Released: Dec 4, 2007
Trace Adkins: American Man: Greatest Hits Volume II

Trace Adkins has his own style in country music, and this album has a lot of that. His sound is pure country, and he ain't afraid to get dirty with his songs (Honky Tonk Badonkedonk, Rough and Ready, Swing). That's one thing I like. Also, he can turn around and have very soft songs (You're Gonna Miss This, Arlington, I Wanna Feel Something, I Came Here To Live). He's always been in modern country music, but he hasn't emerged as a leader. I like the way his songs can have some good electric guitar, and others acoustic. He has variety. I like that about the album. He's not the best singer, but he has a great, low voice. My opinion can only give him a 7, though.

The songs on his album are all decently well written, but not all written by him, if he wrote any. A notable song is Honky Tonk Badonkedonk, which caught my attention, because it was co-wrote by emerging star Randy Houser and long-time great songwriter and also emerging star Jamey Johnson. You're Gonna Miss This is well written, Arlington is a beautiful song that suits his vocals, and American Man is also well written. Other songs aren't as well written. His vocals suit most of the songs better than anyone else. I give lyrics a 8.

I enjoy this album, but in my opinion, he hasn't had enough success to release it. I think it was moving too fast to release this album. Hits on the album are Honky Tonk Badonkedonk, his new biggest hit yet: You're Gonna Miss This, and Songs About Me. The rest of the songs had decent success, but not enough to be on the album. I liked this album, the songs were good, but you shouldn't just put all the songs you released on the Greatest Hits Album. Still, I give it a 7. Sincerely, Guitarslinger

shaymack37
    Modern country music is as hard to play as rock or metal, if not more difficult. Many 'Hicks' have access to the internet. If you don't like country music why did you read the review? Are you bored Anthony1991? Need a little attention?
    Tag43
    It's not 'Ultimate-Rock-Metal-Guitar', it's called 'Ultimate-Guitar'. Last time I checked, there were guitars in country music.
    Anthony1991
    Why is there a sudden burst of country album reviews on UG? How many hicks actually have access to the internet?
    Vondershmurf
    [quote}Modern country music is as hard to play as rock or metal[/quote] That's just not true. I have never heard anything form Trace Adkins that evenly remotely rivals the musicianship of bands like As I lay Dying or Protest the Hero.