Train review by Train

• Released: Feb 24, 1998
Train: Train

Train is an alternative pop/rock band from San Fran. They recorded this album for $25,000 themselves and were soon signed to Columbia records to release this album. Train uses a wide variety of styles on the album like alternative, alt. Country, rock, pop rock and roots rock. This album is Train's early sound compared to the mega hits they would have later. You can say this album is a diamond in the rough. The album has been certified platinum. Tracklist: 01. "Meet Virginia" 02. "I Am" 03. "If You Leave" 04. "Homesick" 05. "Free" 06. "Blind" 07. "Eggplant" 08. "Idaho" 09. "Days" 10. "Rat" 11. "Swaying" 12. "Train" 13. "Heavy"

Singer Patrick Monahan is obviously the star of Train. His vocals are great and they the main attraction of this album. Pat plays percussion, and wrote the lyrics on the album. The lyrics go from somewhat humorous (meet virginia) to mature (I am). He is also a grat live singer. The vocals are the best part of the album.

This album is way less poppy than My Private Nation. There are also many more acoustic songs. The good thing (or bad thing) about this album is that the song's genres are all over the place. You have pop rock (Meet Virginia, Free, I Am), Alt. Country (Blind, Eggplant, Days, Heavy), Roots Rock (If You Leave, Idaho) and some other genres. It's up to you if you like the variety. I'm not into the pop rock genre but this album is a great change of pace from other alternative that I listen to. I would buy this album again if it were stolen because it is great to sit back and relax to.