Transplants Review

9.9
 8.6
reviews (5) 1 comment vote for this album:
Transplants Reviewed by: starbomb13, on march 28, 2005

Sound: Travis' drums are the foundation of their music-very catchy and has a style of its own. The guitar is more of the 'seasoning' goes very well with the drums and also very catchy. I like the contrast of Rob's voice with Tim's, and their own style original. In songs with collabos, like 'Quick Death' with Davey, 'Weigh On My Mind' with Brody, or the songs with Danny Diablo, their personal style blends right along with the music. I love their sound, as it's different from the stuff of the past from Blink or Rancid. // 10

Lyrics: I like the topics of their lyrics, especially 'Tall Cans In The Air' and 'Weigh On My Mind'. Topics have variation, which is never boring. The rapping is catchy, with lyrical hooks-not the best rhymes, but it works and sounds nice. Tim adds a flair to the lyrics as usual. the music and lyrics go well-more rough sounding music shows compliance with the more aggressive lyrics. Singing skills, love the style blend of all the singers/rappers. // 10

Overall Impression: Fave songs are 'Tall Cans In The Air' and 'Weigh On My Mind'. overall, the whole album is consistant and worth the buy. They're all talented musicians. I love how they blend rap with punk. If it were stolen, I'd probably chase the stealer with a knife if I find him/her. I think that if you're a Blink 182 fan or a Rancid fan, you'd still like this album from the Transplants. // 10

Transplants Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 30, 2003

Overall Impression: Tim Armstrong (Rancid), Travis Barker(Blink 182) and Rob Ashton have came together to what I think is the most experimental punk album ever. Much to the extreme, the songs on the album are aggressive but are kept together by Tim Armstrong's classic punk style. The album kicks off with a track called 'Romper Stomper' which bursts into a hardcore aggression and is carried through with the backing loops. The albums first single 'Diamonds and Guns' kind of gives me a reminder of later Clash stuff. All in all the album has been produced well and can cheer you up when you're down (if you don't believe me listen to the new single) and in its own way seems to make you listen again and again. You probally won't hear much more of the transplants soon because Blink 182 and more important, Rancid are back in the studio. // 10

Transplants Reviewed by: MrSpanky, on january 19, 2004

Sound: The music is fairly chord based and simple on the slower tracks like Weigh on my Mind and Sad But True, whereas on the slightly heavier songs like Quick Death and One Seventeen it's more riff driven. The rapping by Rob Aston really adds an addictive touch to all the songs he's in. // 8

Lyrics: Some songs like Down In Oakland tell stories, whereas others are holding on after the loss of someone like Sad But True. Some are about treachery like We Trusted You and some are just about anything like Quick Death, D.R.E.A.M. and One Seventeen. Rob Astons lyrics add a philosophical touch to most of his songs and also an addictive value as said before. Tim and Rob are skillfull singers with totally different styles of singing but they go together really well. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on the album in my opinion are Sad But True and We Trusted You. Transplants are very good at that type of song. I think that the best asset to Transplants is Rob Astons voice, as I've said before it is really addictive. There is nothing about this album that I hate. If I lost this album or it were stolen I would definitely try to find it or buy it again. Although Transplants aren't my favourite band their debut album is definitely the most invaluble CD I own. // 10

Transplants Reviewed by: TheMutts, on december 17, 2004

Sound: When I read an interveiw with Boxcar Racer in a magazine a year or two back, they asked Travis what about this new project he was working on. He told them something like "Yeah it's got alot of different styles of punk and some hard stuff too." That's pretty much what this CD gives you. Tim Armstrong with guitar and vocals really gives it the good ol punk sound we all love and Rob Astons hard vocals give it that rock-rap sound. The sound to me one of a kind. I like the divercity and the guitar goes with well with the feel of the sound. The drums are amazing. It a 5 for me on sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics I am proud of. Pride? Well yeah because if you have heard the song "One Seventeen", they talk about my home town! Yeah with Tim Armstrong starts singing in the song he sings "Shiela is a mess-o, She come from Modesto..." and yeah I was born and live in Modesto. So putting my pride away. The lyrics are hard is some songs and kinda mellow in others. For example D.R.E.A.M. is a rap sounding song, but Rob Aston puts it together nicely. Talking about drugs, beers, coke you know. Then Weigh On My Mind is a great song with good chords and Rob Aston shows a more vocal performance and gives you a sensitive side? Well I don't know about that. But the lyrics are the icing for the songs on this CD. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I am really pleased with this album. Transplants I hope make another one, maybe with some camios. But for now this CD will give you something to rock out to. If you like coke it's the CD for too by the way. I defenitally recommend this CD for the fans of the genre and any one in to punk or hard rock or metal. Just buy it! // 10

Transplants Reviewed by: im not mental, on march 30, 2005

Sound: This band is Tim Armstrong of Rancid, Travis Barker from Blink 182, and Rob Aston. The songs sound kinda like Rancid, but there's also some funk, hip hop, and jungle beats mixed in there, plus some metal riffs like in Romper Stomper, and it sounds superb. Some guest appearances include Davey Havok, (AFI) Brody Dale, (The Distillers) and rapper Danny Diablo. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics comply perfectly with the sound. They're kind of punk, and kind of hip hop at the same time. Tim Armstrong is his own self from Rancid, and Rob Aston is kind of a mix of screaming and rapping. both are excellent vocalists. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite songs are DJDJ, Diamonds And Guns, California Babylon, We Trusted You, Down In Oakland, and Tall Cans In The Air, but the whole CD is great. I love the original sound. I hate that it goes by so fast. If it got stolen, I would find the guy who stole it, get it back, and give him $20 to buy it himself. You should definitely get this CD if you like Rancid, Blink 182, Operation Ivy, or Lars Frederiksen And The Bastards. I can't wait to see em on the Warped Tour this year. // 10

Comments