Live! review by Trapt

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Trapt: Live!

You can listen to the entire album on Ultimate-Guitar: Trapt Live! album. Live albums have always been fodder for dedicated fans and Trapt's latest release Trapt Live! will undoubtedly satisfy any loyal listener of the nearly 10-year-old band. But it's not necessarily the live portion that makes it memorable. The 2 new studio recordings prove to be the strongest points of the album, with some fantastic guitar work on both. This isn't to say that the audience heard on the album doesn't go crazy for every song that the band plays, but Trapt's newest songs just completely outshine any song of the oldies heard on the live portion. Trapt Live! marks the band's first album with the label Eleven Seven Music, and it's an interesting choice in terms of a kick-off record, if only for the fact that it features the band's older material most of the time. Even so, there is some very promising new material that will hopefully get noticed by others. Everything To Lose has a bit more of a moody feel to it and the overall song is just much edgier (from the use of distortion to the expletives) than most of what Trapt has done previously. That song alone marks a very promising start on Eleven Seven Music. While a lot of bands place the new material at the very end of the CD and play the concert first, you don't hear the Trapt concert until the 3rd track. The start of the concert starts out with the appropriate amount of suspense. There is a quiet build up to the first song, with the fist few moments dedicated to what sounds like a quiet guitar notes and the screams of the audience. The percussion (fantastic deep drum beats) is added not too long after, and the song Still Frame takes form. It's an effective, 6-minute opener that hits it's peak early, with the drum intro really drawing you in. Vocalist Aaron Montgomery takes time to announce mid-song that it's a taped concert, which although somewhat distracting, is still a cool way to get the audience involved. Made Of Glass makes a huge impression in terms of the various guitar effects that come to the forefront. Lead guitarist Simon Ormandy never falls short of trying out effects other than the usual distortion, and it adds a little something extra to a fairly average track like Made Of Glass. While the guitar work stays strong for most of the CD, the songwriting does tend to get a bit repetitive and familiar. Thankfully the newest songs Everything To Lose and Stay Alive display a little bit more originality in the songwriting format.

If you're familiar with Trapt's self-titled CD and the follow-up to it Someone In Control, then you know what you're getting lyrically. Trapt writes pretty standard lyrics in regards to the rock genre, and its latest singles do follow the same type of format. In Stay Alive vocalist Chris Brown sings, No one's here to light the candle; No one's here to light the way; It's something I'll have to handle my way. The songs do seem to be inspired by personal experience, so even if they aren't particularly poetic, they will likely connect with fans.

In comparison to a lot of other classic live albums out there, Trapt Live! does fall short. There is nothing too unexpected along the way and Trapt's songs don't really allow for any heavy soloing or musical spontaneity to take place. The sound quality is fantastic, though, and it does highlight the instrumentation that's going on underneath it all. Guitarist Simon Ormandy does do some very cool things effects-wise, and he does deserve credit for really taking the songs in new directions at times. For the Trapt fans, the live album is probably a worthwhile buy, even if it's just for the newly recorded songs. Everything To Lose once again features some excellent guitar work, as well as some cool muffled vocal sections. Trapt is the kind of radio-friendly band that may like to stay in it's comfort zone, but the 2 new songs (although still pretty benign) do show the band might be trying out some new sounds in the future.

Adyson88
    wow, the people on this site have some hate for Trapt, or any kind of mainstream rock at all. Geez people, maybe some people like to listen to songs that just sound good on the ears every once in awhile. Hell, I listen to band like Tool, Mars Volta, Nine Inch Nails, Sigur Ros, and a bunch of other bands that have great music and/or lyrical value but i still like to sit and jam to other bands too. Damn, if you don't like it then don't comment on it. Us people that DO listen to Trapt don't want to hear how stupid and s***ty the band is since , of course, we are wrong and you are all knowing...get over it.
    comawhite1530
    Honestly, Rock and Metal are two different Genre's. Metal, well most metal is a bunch of sweaty *****s that care about nothing but f***ing their lives up while screaming wannabe satanic bullsh*t. Then a few years from now end up on VH1's where are they now? Rock is more heartfelt I think. Look at Led Zeppelin, Rush, Pink Floyd, The Beatles... All legends, all made multi-platinum albums all kept to their format, same as say I dunno Trapt, their just a modern rock band. Now take that for intelligent thought. Or better yet who's making the buck while half of you bash them and post piss poor tabs online of these peoples music while you work at McDonald's and live in your mothers basement.....And your 45!
    IBANEZ-RG350EX
    silencesoloud : i never gave these guys a chance the first time i heard the lyrics to 'headstrong'. I believe it's something to the effect of 'Back down, I'll take you on, headstrong to take on anyone. I know that you are wrong, headstrong, you're headstrong'. Seriously, wtf does that mean? I don't understand at all...
    Its: Back Down well take you on, headstrong to take on anyone i know that you are wrong were headstrong, were headstrong
    snuggleblade
    Trapt were last on the chain of copycat nu-metal bands and besides that, they cant even spell their name right. Trapt, Korn, Staind, Limp Biskit etc. You get my point.
    ZeRoGuY
    Well i guess i'll be one of the few to say that these guys are good! They've been known for sucking live, but i saw em they tore it up and this CD is probably even better. Sure it's not crazy ass shit, but come on their songs sound good. I listen to em every once and a while and enjoy it. Then i go back to heavy ass stuff.
    Metal_Rich
    wildarmx wrote: I honestly dont know what you guys have against trapt. They write pretty decently, better than most on this site. seether? I like em but come on their lyrics are way worse and did you get a listen to their new single? RADIO. the negativity on this site really gets me.
    Seether and Trapt are 2 completely different bands. Trapt may write 'pretty decently' to your ears, but the majority of UG are metal heads and so think they write generic rock and clich lyrics.
    zAg1619
    Trapt... Teh Fuck? I heard them on the radio a few times.. But Christ, A live album??
    eddie_poole
    yeah platinum doesnt mean anything. it just means that a whole lot of people bought the cd. im sure nodody got trapts first cd because its actually pretty good. only an orc would do something stupid like that.
    eddie_poole
    word Nick1814. its not like everybody in a mosh pit is thinking intelligent thoughts and making a great effort to listen to the music. theyre just having a good time listening to the music and moshing. so all yall douchebags who say trapt suck can go blow one.
    Nick1814
    Orc wrote: Dude, music like trapt is like junk food for the mind. It takes no effort or intelligent thought to listen to, that's why bands like that get popular. Platinum status does not mean they're good necessarily...it means they sold enough albums, to anyone, to be platinum.
    Are you saying you only listen to music that takes "effort" to listen to or evokes intelligent thought? If you want to get into a few more bands you should listen to music that just sounds good too.
    wildarmx
    Orc
    eddie_poole
    yeah trapt totally suck. especially since their first album was certified as platinum and everything. but they arent good at all.
    silencesoloud
    NorCalLos
    cdnhland wrote: Its always humoring when a studio band makes a live album
    Ya, what's next? Britney Spears live album? Fitty Cent? Cher?
    edflinkinp
    I really like this group, I enjoy most of their songs, my fav album is someone in control.. Trapt album was good though but I don't think it was as good as SIC.. the classics are on it at least, Headstrong, Echo, Still Frame... I really like the studio song that came in the Trapt: Live! album, Stay alive, haven't heard the other one. I'm looking forward to listening to this 'cause I love all the songs in it, great selection!
    staind_dust87
    I saw trapt live when they opened for seether and they sucked, I was never a huge fan, but I didn't dislike them. But after that, lol. They were so light, the only song that was a little heavy was the one were the lead singer played guitar, and that was there lightest song, lol. Maybe they just had a bad day, but till I hear something I like, I'm not getting it.
    metaldud536
    Nick1814 wrote: crazyskater_533 wrote: one hit wonders. i like their songs, they're just one hit wonders tho. "they're just one hit wonders tho" i guess your right considering that sentence doesn't make sense.
    Hey, start your sentences with capital letters.lol But yea, I didn't know these guys still existed.
    Metal_Rich
    I used to like them, but good grief the lyrics get old fast. I tried to get back into them and only had the CDs out for 2 days before I had to put them away again.
    Nick1814
    666Sabbath666
    Wow I didnt know they still existed, let along releasing a live album. I thought live albums were generally for more sucessful bands.
    Amorous_Jack
    Il have most of you know that this band is exceedingly good, best know for it's witty lyrics which most people can't get an understanding of because they are ignorant. Trapt to me are a great band and Chris Brown has a great voice, just because you listen to metal which is alot heavier doesn't mean you can appreicate the lighter things in life. I say good on Trapt and there new album "Only Through The Pain" to be released on August 5th looks fantastic so far too and im looknig forward to it indeed.