Reborn review by Trapt

• Released: Jan 22, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Trapt: Reborn

Since Trapt has been around, you pretty much know what you're gonna get when you buy and album or listen to a song for the first time. They've pretty much have used similar textures in their songs. Things like a blasting loud main riff in the intro and the same riff featured in the pre chorus or chorus, the verse to be smooth clean arpeggios, and the bridge usually being a different formation of clean sounding arpeggios. Granted, not all of their songs are like this, a very large amount are. But for this album, they experimented with some new sounds and pedals. They haven't quite left their roots from their debut album, but only expanded them. Have they shot themselves up with a 5 star album? Let's find out. 01. "Bring It": A pretty heavy head banging tune that you find yourself yelling along with that was actually released quite a while ago. Overall, the song has everything it needs to keep you interested in what they're about. Not only that, but it has some new sounds in it and you get that feel the second the song starts. 02. "Love Hate Relationship": The second single before the album was released since the album was being delayed for so long. The song starts, some bongo sounding instruments play (I'm not a percussionist so go easy on me if I use some stupid word choices), and then distorted guitars flair out the main riff that the rest of the song goes around. 03. "Experience": I actually don't really have much to say about this song cause I don't care much for it. It's nothing more than a standard sounding Trapt song. 04. "Living In The Eye Of The Storm": The third single off the album. It's not quite a ballad but slightly slower feel than the first three tracks and since Trapt isn't really known for making ballads, this but about as close as we get to a ballad from this album. All thoughts aside, this is probably my favorite track off the album. 05. "Livewire (Light Me Up)": An electrical sounding effect starts the song followed by some sort of growing solar sound before the main riff kicks off. Another good song from the album and I can see this being a single as well. 06. "Strength In Numbers": The song I think has almost the same BRM as "Livewire". Also, a lot like the other tracks on the album, new sounds are build in the song that make it sound interesting but will make you forget about it after you listen to it. 07. "Get Out Of Your Own Way": The problem I have with this song is not really the song itself, but the album starts to get repetitive at this point. 08. "Going Under": Just another heavy song on the album. Not really much more I can say about it. 09. "Too Close": This song seems to be the most different song from the album. With the violin section, and the pop like sound of Chris singing, it's like they were tying to experiment a different approach with this song. 10. "When It Rains": Another song that I really like on this album. Though the lyrics aren't too great, the sound and the feel of the song is what attracts me the most to it. 11. "You'Re No Angel": The best way to end an album in my opinion is to end it with a song that really means something. That's obviously what they were not going for here. They just decided to end it with a plain so-so song that seemed to be placed at the end cause it didn't have another place to be. Overall, the sound of the album wasn't too bad. The new experimental sounds they used really helped it, even though I'm pretty sure every song starts with some studio made noise. For the acoustic bonus tracks, I don't really see a point in them. I'm not gonna crap on them or anything, I just don't think a blasting heavy song sounds good when it's redone in acoustic. But then there's a song that's only released as an acoustic song called "Avelyn". My thoughts are "Ehh", nothing rememberable and the thing that I hate the most about it, is that the intro is a bold rip off from Nickelback's song "Far Away".

Now for the lyrics. I won't list every song on the album, I'll just give my overall opinion of them. No song out of the eleven are written tremendously but no song was written horribly. I know people like to crap on Bring It and say that the lyrics are retarded and cheesy, ect. Honestly, I don't think they were trying for something remarkable. All they wanted to do was to make a pump up song to yell along with, and they did it. Living in the Eye of the Storm I feel has the best lyrics. There's nothing great about them but I find that the lyrics to that song paint the most pictures in your head. Pretty much all the other songs' lyrics don't really feel like the band focused 100% of their time putting together. I mean, one of the songs' main line is "When it rains, it pours". I like the sound of the song a lot but you might as well title your song "Easy as pie" or something. Like I said though, there's songs that have better written lyrics than others, but no song on here is written super deep or anything.

If I sound like I'm crapping on the album, I don't mean to. I actually really enjoy it, I just have some issues with it. Mainly the lyrics and how repetitive some songs are. Out of all their albums, I'll still have to say that Someone in Control is still my favorite. Some songs that I enjoy the most though are Bring It, Living in the Eye of the Storm, Livewire, and When it Rains. If it were stolen or lost, I don't know if I'd buy it again since I use Spotify literally everytime I'm on my computer. If you haven't heard it yet, give it a try and you'll probably like it okay, but that's most likely the most you'll be into it.