12 Memories Review

artist: Travis date: 04/28/2004 category: compact discs
Travis: 12 Memories
Released: Oct 14, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Cathartic, Earnest, Intimate, Amiable/Good-Natured, Witty, Playful, Reflective
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Britpop, Post-Grunge
 9.8
 9.7
 9.9
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
12 Memories Reviewed by: Esben, on february 09, 2004

Sound: This fourth album release from Travis shows them from a darker side, but still with the same kind of music (indie, pop/rock). For the first time Fran wrote songs on another instrument than the acoustic guitar - the piano. It results in a bigger variety of sounds. Frans (really nice) piano can be heard on "Walking down the hill", "How many hearts", "Somewhere else", and last but definitely not least "Some sad song". Some sad song is the hidden track, the 12th memory, and it is a very beautiful ballad. "The beautiful occupation" of "peace the f*** out" are some true anti-war songs... In my opinion the best song are "Happy to hang around", "somewhere else", "Love will come through", "Some sad song", "Midlife krysis", "Re-offender", and the rest... eheh they are all cool. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are kinda sad, but they're cool. "Some sad song" about the catolic church("in the church, one day youll get hurt"). As mentioned above, "The beautiful occupation" and "Peace the f*** out" are about world peace and war, the other songs are about different things in life. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is definitely worth buying. I think is the second best album from Travis (after "The man who"). It is not as easy to listen to as the other album from them, but not hard either. It is the kind of album that gets better and better every time you listen to it. Keep on moving Travis! I'm looking forward to the next single release "Love will come through... // 10

12 Memories Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2004

Sound: The sound just keeps getting better and better. Inovations in this album are the riffs that they use in accordance to what Healey is singing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are dark but have a lighter side than any of the other albums. Healey's voice makes the lyrics come to life and makes you feel part of his feelings. The Music compliments the lyrics to the point where you are unsure where one song ends and the next begins. It is almost like he is telling you a story within 12 songs. // 10

Overall Impression: 12 Memories is by far the best that Travis has produced. All of the songs are impressive but the one that 'sings' to me is Quicksand and Love Will Come Through. I love everything about the album, there is NOTHING TO HATE. If I ever lost this album I would cry and then run to the iTunes and buy it. If you are a Travis fan this is a MUST HAVE! // 10

Comments