All I Was review by Tremonti

• Released: Jul 17, 2012
Tremonti: All I Was

This album features all the trademark Tremonti sounds I've come to love over the years-the songwriting prowess, the monster riffing, the catchy melodies and tight musicianship-all turned up to 11. It takes after Alter Bridge, which makes sense given that Tremonti worked with Elvis Baskette to produce the record, but there are no soft, emotive tunes on this record. It's angry, and it's good. Hearing Tremonti take the lead on the microphone for once is a real treat, and he doesn't disappoint. That guitarist has been hiding a tremendous hard rock voice for more than a decade, and it's great to finally hear it unleashed.

Call me a critic, but I've always found Stapp's lyrics pretentious and Kennedy's lyrics cliche. Given the choice between either of those two and Tremonti, I'd take Tremonti. His lyrics aren't works of art, but they seem heartfelt and genuine. The lyrics certainly don't take a backseat to the songwriting here. It sounds like Tremonti crafted each song carefully in all aspects.

This record far surpasses Creed's last two offerings, and I think it holds up against Alter Bridge as well. With bands like Nickelback and Three Days Grace swarming the hard rock charts, Tremonti's record offers something we see too rarely these days: Heart. Combined with his incredible skills as a guitar player and songwriter, this album is well worth your time and patronage.